4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Undercarriage protection.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default Undercarriage protection.

Well I was under the car yesterday and took a good look at the undercarriage and a few blats of tiny surface rust are showing up above my gas tank. I figured its about time considering the body has 145k on it and its seen some PA winters for sure. So i decided im gonna drop the tank and do an overhall on the undercarriage front to back. Does anyone have a recomendation on what to use. Roll on bedliner? Rattle can bedliner? Undercoat? etc etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I was thinking the same thing the other day....Maybe that spray on rhino-liner stuff that they put on truck beds? Great idea uber!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:58 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Well, as good as that stuff sounds, all you are going to do is trap the rust from one side, and moisture will still be in there, and it will still rust. But, there are many products out there that will remove rust, and paints that chemically change the rust so that it hardens and can no longer oxidize. What you could do, is sand/scrape/wire wheel and big flakes off, then use the rust remover, then paint over it. If you want to do something as a preventative for the winter....the guys around here spray a mix of several petroleum products(oil, deisel, some other junk I can't remember) on the undercarriage and it sticks like glue. It can be washed off if needed to service parts with soap and water, and offers very good water proofing and salt protection. Trouble is finding someone who sprays the stuff lol.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Eastwood has some great products. I would start with some type of rust converter/encapsulator
http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/treatment.html
Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I've read POR-15 works great. I think its a type of rust converter and preventer. A little ont he costly side but have read good things about it.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I've read POR-15 works great. I think its a type of rust converter and preventer. A little ont he costly side but have read good things about it.
Good shat, but it's a pain in the *** to apply correctly. Personally I'm just spraying rubberized undercoating on everything I can get to, and calling it a day. The main thing that keeps the car nice if you must drive it in the winter, is washing all the salt off it. I spend the same amount of time on my undercarrage in the winter then the paint. Hit the known rust spots of these cars heavy and you should be good to go. Just as said, don't spray over something that's already rusted.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Well the car isn't driven in the winter for over 4 years, and the rust thats popping off I plan on sanding off not just spraying over, so by sanding it then will the bedliner work?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

my car has some form of rubber bedliner under it. the previous owner had it done so i couldn't really give you any specifics.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I wouldnt want to keep applying and washing off an undercoating....clean it, put it on once and be done with it.

I don't see how a bedliner would be BAD, but it wouldn't be a rust preventer type deal. All the bed liners do is protect from scratches. POR-15 may be a pain to apply, but I would see it as a one time paint job and you are done. Especially not being a winter car.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I wouldnt want to keep applying and washing off an undercoating....clean it, put it on once and be done with it.

I don't see how a bedliner would be BAD, but it wouldn't be a rust preventer type deal. All the bed liners do is protect from scratches. POR-15 may be a pain to apply, but I would see it as a one time paint job and you are done. Especially not being a winter car.

Quick Reply: Undercarriage protection.