4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exhaust advice.. (Emissions States Specific)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
TwegGT

Default Exhaust advice.. (Emissions States Specific)

So I am contemplating getting a new exhaust setup, but unfortunately I live in CA and the laws here are pretty strict. How many of you CA guys and gals run illegal headers/mid pipes? I've heard horror stories from others who have been pulled over and their exhaust was db tested on the spot and ticketed for running illegal pipes.

I am interested in running long tube headers/high flow cat x-pipe/ and some flows, but I don't feel like being pulled over and ticketed for my exhaust on a regular basis. Do any on you have issues with getting pulled often? Also what do you do for inspection/smog test time? Just switch back to all the stock equipment? I know long tubes are a PITA to install so I may be better off running equal length shorty's if that's the case..

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I am not familiar with CA laws. We have emissions testing in Ohio, but not near as strict as CA. If we were to get pulled over for exhaust db's here...the cop would likely get laughed at. Nobody cares. For your situation, keep it with high flow cats, and a chambered muffler and you should be ok. Just don't drive like a jackass and attract more attention to yourself.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM
TwegGT

Thankfully my days of driving like a jackass are over. I'm originally from OH.. I had a 350 rocket cutlass with pretty much straight pipes back in the day. I was pulled over multiple times (generally jackass related) and they never even looked at my exhaust.

This state however is on the verge of meltdown. I know to even smog it I won't be able to run the setup I want. I've seen/heard several cars out here in my area that I know aren't legal. I'd hate to spend a grandish on a new setup and pay extra on it once a month in tickets.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Honestly, it all comes down to money. If money is not a concern for you...get whatever exhaust you want. If it is a concern, then stick with the shat that won't drawn unnecessary attention to you. What part of ohio? Im in North East area.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM
vertmustang98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I am not familiar with CA laws. We have emissions testing in Ohio, but not near as strict as CA. If we were to get pulled over for exhaust db's here...the cop would likely get laughed at. Nobody cares. For your situation, keep it with high flow cats, and a chambered muffler and you should be ok. Just don't drive like a jackass and attract more attention to yourself.
Where in Ohio do you live? You must live in Cleveland. I live in Columbus and their is no emissions testing to speak of here. I run headers with no EGR and my car spells like a track car if you get behind it. I love going to Cleveland in it because the cops can't do anything about it!
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM
TwegGT

I grew up in Southern Ohio, about 2 hours south of Columbus. Money is certainly a concern right now.. Times are pretty tough in this state.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

In Ca, unless you have a hook up and are NOT worried about possible ticket costs, do not even bother with long tubes. It would be a royal PITA to have to removed every 2 years to pass smog.

Just do what a lot of people (myself included) do. Run stock (or shorty CARB legal headers) with a catted x/h and your choice of cat-back. The cats will keep it quiet, and if a cop looks underneath and sees cats, they should be happy.

FWIW I run a bassani catted x and SLP LM1s, and have never been pulled over for loud exhaust.

OR

Register your car in a county here in CA that does not ask for SMOG. A few still exist.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vertmustang98gt
Where in Ohio do you live? You must live in Cleveland. I live in Columbus and their is no emissions testing to speak of here. I run headers with no EGR and my car spells like a track car if you get behind it. I love going to Cleveland in it because the cops can't do anything about it!
I live near Cleveland. Actually I just moved further into the sticks and the county I am in now doesn't require testing. But Geauga does, and i think portage and cuyahoga do too. There is only like a dozen counties in the state that require it. It's bull**** anyways...
Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kast1376
In Ca, unless you have a hook up and are NOT worried about possible ticket costs, do not even bother with long tubes. It would be a royal PITA to have to removed every 2 years to pass smog.
This.

I'm just running my stock manifolds for this reason. I do have an o/r x pipe installed, but keep my stock midpipe in the garage just in case I need it. Just keep your shifts at low rpm's around cops and you should be fine.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
This.

I'm just running my stock manifolds for this reason. I do have an o/r x pipe installed, but keep my stock midpipe in the garage just in case I need it. Just keep your shifts at low rpm's around cops and you should be fine.
I have my stocker set aside as well too for smog reasons. For those in CA., I would STRONGLY recommend not using any O/R pipe. They have started doing this all over the state:

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Watch-...ne-mobile.html

I had a run-in with one about 2 months ago. They claim it is 'random' if they choose you or not but it is not. Any car with a loud exhaust or is a typical ricer/muscle car was flagged. They did look for the smog equipment, including cats.

Quick Reply: Exhaust advice.. (Emissions States Specific)