4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Bilsteins vs Konis

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default Bilsteins vs Konis

Just curious as to which one is the better damper. I figured i would make a new thread so that others may click this thread since a lot of people are interested in hearing about this information...

To relate it to me, my car is bouncing around badly with the tokico HP's and the cut mach springs (1.25 coils) on the rear. I need a solid fix that will stiffen things up and tighten me up on the twisties and react to bumps/hills in the road

The debate is between these dampers:
Click this link to take you to the ones in discussion
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all

1) Koni Sport Shock (called "koni yellows" i believe) - externally adjustable - $129 a piece

Twin Tube Low Pressure Gas Externally Adjustable Shock Absorber (whatever that means)

2) Koni Special Shock - $121 a piece

Mono-Tube High Pressure Gas Quad Shock Absorber (Whatever that means)

3) Bilstein HD Shocks - $98 a piece

Non adjustable

4) MM Sport Series valved Shocks (revalved bilsteins) - $125 a piece
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=779

Also - Do all of these raise up the rear end 1/4"-1/2" due to much higher compression compared to the HP's? I have heard numerous accounts that the bilstein HD's do, but i'm not sure on the others.

Also, lets say koni's are the best, would it be ok to have koni's in the rear with stock 03/04 cobras or tokico HP's up front? Or should i not mismatch shocks/struts?

With the tokico HP's and the cut (1/2 coil) tokico springs up front (around a #680+ spring rating since stock they are 680) with the cut rear mach 1 springs out back (around a 250+ rating since stock they are 250), i have some slight oversteer on HARD cornering. Is that bc the rear is unable to compensate for the lowered ride while the front can? If i get a better shock and even a better strut, will that help the oversteer problems slightly, or do i need to look into a different rear swaybar/some LCA's/panhard bar?

Thanks for all the input. I hope you guys can help me out and give me some feedback on which one is the best so that my rear end will stay planted and not bounce around like a jalopy.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:49 PM
nickmckinney
3rd Gear Member

Koni are the best by far but expensive. You can get a stock used set of Bilstein struts and have them custom valved and fully rebuilt for $150. You just send them in with the specs of the car and spring rates.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

You are talking about buying used 03/04 cobra struts up front and spending $150 to have them revalved?

The front isn't the problem here. And SRA's can't use IRS shocks out back so i have to buy brand new pretty much...

Bilsteins are $98 the cheapest and Koni Yellows are $129... I'll spend the extra $30 for the adjustability though if it will help my rear end bounce drastically bc God knows i need all the help i can get...

I hear that the koni yellows (aka koni sports) - single adjustable - are THE SH*T...

Jazzer, get your *** in here. And that's an order

I'm making good money part time and i might as well treat myself with something nice before school starts on friday and i lose my life and my mind... I just need some encouragement on what shock to get and if it will control my crazy bouncing that i seem to have on rough surfaces with the cut mach 1 springs and the tokico HP shocks

The fronts i think i am going to pick up a member on here's cobra struts... As long as the koni rears can be matched with the cobras up front (which i dont see why they couldn't since i need much more help in the rear end rebound it seems compared to the front which barely bounces)
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am with others here and recommend the Koni's

As everyone already knows, shocks/struts/springs are far from my strong suite, but I see many race cars that run them and all Griggs installs on all their race cars as well. I tend to go high-end on just about everything I do, as this greatly limits the need to go back and re-address a need due to failing parts or whatever.

Koni are not more expensive because of the name, but rather reputation!

Jazzer
Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Thanks jazzer. Your PM really helped me out big time as well.

I can get koni sports single adjustable (yellows) for $230 out the door

Or i can get bilstein HD's for around $185 out the door...
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

HP Get the Konis and just don't eat for a week, to make up for the price difference...
Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
HP Get the Konis and just don't eat for a week, to make up for the price difference...
Dude is using his noggin' . In all seriousness, I stopped going out for lunch all in the sake of saving cash for Mustang mods, lol. I dont put miles on my car, don't use the gas and don't have to spend 9 dollars before i'm out the door at Quiznos.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Hangwire, I've recently be diagnosed with a condition called KB disease. It's this disease that forces you to re-arrange your priorities to allow a specific "Whine" to enter into your life within 6 months....if ya know what I mean. LOL
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Hangwire, I've recently be diagnosed with a condition called KB disease. It's this disease that forces you to re-arrange your priorities to allow a specific "Whine" to enter into your life within 6 months....if ya know what I mean. LOL
Lol i'm still recovering from that and its getting old. Imagine the annoyance of seeing one everytime you walk into your room and wanting to put it on but for one reason or the other you can't yet. I had a bunch more I was gonna cram in that PM on the reasons I developed that condition but it wouldn't have fit and there was already enough rambling.

Quality shocks/dampers are a lot cheaper than I thought. Hope the Konis fix your cartoon suspension lol. Your description reminds me of a car I saw coming home the day I bought my stang. Was a 4 door wagon slam full with flowers in the back. The shocks must be been totally done with because whenever she hit just a little bump on the highway her whole rear end would start wobling like a spring and youd see flower parts flying all over inside. It was hilarious.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have NA such disease myself, but do hear whining from drivers as they pass deeper into the rear view mirror along HWY 1

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Bilsteins vs Konis