4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

nitrous installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
No one is advocating being unsafe, we're just trying to clarify what the boundaries of safe are.

You're going to have to rethink this sentence because it doesn't make any sense.
If a tune has been installed with additional timing(ie 93oct tune), it will be too much timing for a decent shot of nitrous. Therefore, another custom tune (specifically for nitrous) will be needed to keep it safe.

What one person has run without a catastrophy, is not necessarily "safe." Nitrous is great, but it is wise to get a custom tune if you plan to run 100 shot or more of nitrous.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:06 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
If a tune has been installed with additional timing(ie 93oct tune), it will be too much timing for a decent shot of nitrous. Therefore, another custom tune (specifically for nitrous) will be needed to keep it safe.

What one person has run without a catastrophy, is not necessarily "safe." Nitrous is great, but it is wise to get a custom tune if you plan to run 100 shot or more of nitrous.
Yes, your right then. I'm assumed we were already talking about getting tuned for nitrous. So yes if you have a 93 performance tune and then added nitrous you are raising the risk. And, yes I tried it on a few passes and did not grenade the motor. You can use your hand held tuner to tweak the tune parameters. I wasn't pushing it as I'm no tuning expert but the diff with the custom tune was significant.
I'd hesitate to make a blanket statement on a 100 shot as different kits have different guidelines. But a custom tune will be the best option.