4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

new GT owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
achamb7

Default new GT owner

Hey guys, new 2002 GT owner here, looking for some info and opinions. I have a 2002 GT vert, auto. I am looking to go with gears, intake, full exhaust, and a tune. I was also wondering if I should go with a cam, and if so which one? I live and work within 15 minutes of a dragstrip, so it will be there a few times a year, not more than 2 or 3. But it will be driven, if not everyday, then 4-5 times a week. Not looking for FI or nitrous just yet, although if I do go that route it will be way down the road.

Also, what kind of tranny came in my car? I have searched, but have not been able to find out exactly the Ford name. Also, is it correct that my car has 3.27 gears from the factory? I want to go 4.10s, but I don't want to turn 3k rpms on the highway, either.

Sorry for all the questions, I am a new owner, and I have only looked at Mustangs from afar. This is my first, but definitely won't be my last. Thanks in advance...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM
achamb7

Also, forgot to say, it is bone stock except for Flowmaster mufflers.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:41 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

Well welcome first of all and be ready for a lot of opinions thrown at you. you'll find a lot of them match up though.

so here ya go....

1. dont get an intake - just get a drop in k&n filter. save you a bunch of money and give you the performance you want.

2. gears - if your worried about the rpms, go 3.73 or 3.9 but many will tell u the rpms arent that bad.

3. exhaust - go youtube mustang exhaust or magnaflow, borla, sss, etc. see what sound you like and pick that way. the performance differences between them all is trivial. look for stainless steel when possible.

4. a tune will be needed with gears, so wait until you do them and you can usually get a pakcage deal.

5. cams - i will be very little help here, haha.

good luck. post some pics of the car!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Kerns
4th Gear Member

Don't mess with the car. You have an auto convertible so you are at a huge disadvantage. With how heavy those cars are and how heavy and drivetrain loss of the auto with full bolt ons you would barely, and I mean barely pull a stock manual GT coupe.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

just cuz he has a disadvantage doesnt mean he doesnt enjoy modding man!! i may be able to fit doesnt in a few more times, somehow....
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
achamb7

I had a 1999 Grand Prix GTP, and it had MINOR mods, and it was quicker than my Mustang. ANd by minor, I mean PCM, intake, and minor exhaust mods. No way I'm not modding.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by achamb7
I had a 1999 Grand Prix GTP, and it had MINOR mods, and it was quicker than my Mustang. ANd by minor, I mean PCM, intake, and minor exhaust mods. No way I'm not modding.
the supercharged one?

I creamed one of those w/ cams (no blower)
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
achamb7

I'm not looking to go 11s, or trap 115, but it HAS to be quicker than it is. I bought it because of the Mustang name, and because I know it has a billion aftermarket parts, a lot of potential, and a huge following. So please don't tell me not to mod.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
achamb7

Originally Posted by 0949er
the supercharged one?

I creamed one of those w/ cams (no blower)
it was supercharged. I surprised a lot of people with that car.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
achamb7

I can't post attachments yet, so here is a link. Let me know what you guys think. Also, I am thinking of replacing my to with a black top, going with black rims with a chrome lip, and smoked/tinted headlights/taillights. Anyone seen a laser red vert with this color combo? Links?

Quick Reply: new GT owner