4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
View Poll Results: which would you pick?
Non intercooled Kenne Bell
28.57%
Non intercooled Centrifugal
28.57%
Cheap turbo kit
42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

which FI option would you choose and why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Id look for a used intercooled kit, I found my procharger for 2k complete when I was looking.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:15 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I threw my Novi 2000 kit together for right at $3500. Thats for the blower, bracket, intercooler, pulley, belt and oil lines. All were brand new parts. I still had to buy MAF and injectors. If you were to go with a used vortech you can probably get it all for $3500.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 AM
TownCar4.6

Any of them at low boost would work about the same on a stock-internal motor. Just use that money to go with forged internals, that way you can throw a lot more boost at it without having to worry about your motor blowing up(and, 380-420ish rwhip on a v8 with F/I is *ahem*...weak).

You could save up a little bit more and go the rear-mounted turbo route and keep that engine bay clean. Just get the bigger turbos with boost controller and you can increase the boost if you go ahead with a forged motor(and supporting mods) in the future.

Good luck on your build!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 AM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

Save an get a intercooled KB.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by TownCar4.6
Any of them at low boost would work about the same on a stock-internal motor. Just use that money to go with forged internals, that way you can throw a lot more boost at it without having to worry about your motor blowing up(and, 380-420ish rwhip on a v8 with F/I is *ahem*...weak).

You could save up a little bit more and go the rear-mounted turbo route and keep that engine bay clean. Just get the bigger turbos with boost controller and you can increase the boost if you go ahead with a forged motor(and supporting mods) in the future.

Good luck on your build!
Not enough space r remote mounted turbos. And I agree with the Sean, intercooled kenne bell. If you're on that tight of a budget and can afford to go intercooled, just get nitrous.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by 03BottleFedGT
none of the above. 100 wet kit
+1 on that idea
Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Either the centi or kb can be intercooled at a later date. What's wrong with running low psi then later upping the pressure after buying the intercooler kit?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigtom
Either the centi or kb can be intercooled at a later date. What's wrong with running low psi then later upping the pressure after buying the intercooler kit?
You ever seen the IATs on a motor with a supercharger and no intercooler? Do you know what the computer does when IATs get this high? They go ohhhh helllll no I will pull this car over.

BTW Apparently factory terminators are weak. Really retarded and general statement to say a supercharged v8 is weak. I'm almost afraid of what kind of dumb *** justification one may have for this statement.

I didnt vote, id stay stock instead of the three options available....with the worst option being a "cheap turbo kit." Anybody who knows better or has tried a "cheap turbo kit" knows it doesn't turn out cheap.

It costs to be the boss.....

Last edited by Hangwire; 09-09-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

After watching 0949er's videos, doin the Vortech kit really isn't a bad option....if you did that you could still have some money left over for something else! Just spitballin'
Old 09-09-2010, 07:51 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicSwanny
I would pick neither of the three. I'd choose intercooled KB. If you are on such a tight budget I'd suggest a 100 wet shot of nitrous instead. A ton of torque and power and much cheaper.
The only issue I have with the nitrous is that I really can't imagine me turning the nitrous bottle on and warming it up to pressure then deciding to give it a shot to feel the power on a straight, when I'm only going to the gun range or to the store. I drive a company vehicle to and from work. I have a wife and baby and the stang won't fit the baby seat and the wife(back seat isn't deep enough for rear facing baby seat). So I very rarely get an opportinity where I am driving alone in my mustang. I just think that I would like extra power for every straight on every ocassion that I drive it.

Quick Reply: which FI option would you choose and why?