4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

problems with my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

Default problems with my clutch

ok so i have an adjustable cable, quadrant and adjuster. my throwout bearing (i suspect) squeals when i tighten the clutch cable (screwing the adjuster out). when i loosen the cable (screwing the adjuster in) it goes away for the most part, when i turn i can hear it going over probably 25-30 mph. it becomes chattery, inaccurate, and horrible taking off from first, WHEN LOOSENED TO THE POINT TO WHERE I CANT HEAR THE THROWOUT BEARING. i am unsure of where it grabs at the right moment to cleanly take off (although sometimes it happens). sometimes the clutch pedal VIBRATES, pops, and it feels incredibly bindy, like its stretching or something. and when it;s screwed in that far, it feels like i have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to get it to feel like its shifting cleanly in the transmission. when i put it in first, the clutch comes out maybe exactly an inch, quite possibly less, before the car starts to move forward slightly. and when i engage the clutch enough for it to inch forward, it makes a lot of chattery noise, like clicking. COULD MY CLUTCH CABLE BE STRETCHING, CAUSING A BAD ENGAGEMENT?

when i first got my clutch cable, adjuster and quadrant my cable was set incredibly tightly, and the clutch engaged at the tippy top of the travel. practically when the clutch was all the way out, it would engage. could the clutch being that tight at first for a while have stretched the cable out?

i adjusted it at the drag strip. two clicks, unscrewing the adjuster (which tightens the cable) and it grabbed second way better, i didn't hear the chattery noise when i went to stage, and i peeled out when i went to launch (launchign at 2700 rpm, which i would hook prior to tightening cable)

i have no idea what is going on. this whole clutch thing is driving me crazy and i can't figure out what si wrong does anybody have any possible leads? any ideas on what to do? anything i could fix myself??
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Well first thing first, if I was in you're shoes I would get rid of the aftermarket cable. My aftermarket cable didn't last to many miles before it begin to stretch and eventually snap completly. I've known people whose cables stretched within the first week, but some people do get away with them with no issues. A modified stock cable is the best route to go. To me it sounds liek the first thing you have to do is get that clutch adjusted properly and see where you are at. You wan't to adjust the firewall adjuster so that the shifter moves in and out of gears with minimal effort (no hammering, forcing, grinding, or a hard to get into gear feeling), and in turn for the other direction simply give it a spanking on the highway and see if it slips, easiest way is to probably put it in 5th gear at about 40-50mph and floor it, if it slips you need some more adjustment.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

^Great advice right there.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 AM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

ok i will do that. i've tried putting my stock cable back in and it doesn't fit. the cable is too short. i have the Stack Racing quadrant from AM. i'll try to play around with it this weekend, but does this actually sound like a cable problem? it acts weird when getting into first gear, like it just doesn't want to "catch". after adjusting it a couple weeks ago, i had it at the point where it would catch right on with no problem, same clutch movements every time almost. i went to the strip and tightened (screwed it out) a little bit because it felt like it was stretchign every time i would throw it into gear and launch (wouldn't spin much at launch, kind of a slowish, high rpm launch; wouoldn't spin into second gear;;;; and when i threw it into third it would kind of hold around 70 mph and start going up all of a sudden, and going into 4th it would hold at 100 for a second then start going up)......... is that a sign of a stretching clutch cable???

see, the thing is, when i tighten the cable too much (screw it out) i start to hear the TOB squealing. and my clutch pedal VIBRATES like hell when it is screwed in a lot (loosening the cable). like i can hear it when i'm driving and oh my god does it **** me off. it feels like something is wrong.

i've done the hammering test in 4th and 5th at low rpms. it slams onto gear pretty hard with no signs of the clutch slipping. do you mean stretching? if i notice stretching?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by evanjp
ok i will do that. i've tried putting my stock cable back in and it doesn't fit. the cable is too short. i have the Stack Racing quadrant from AM. i'll try to play around with it this weekend, but does this actually sound like a cable problem? it acts weird when getting into first gear, like it just doesn't want to "catch". after adjusting it a couple weeks ago, i had it at the point where it would catch right on with no problem, same clutch movements every time almost. i went to the strip and tightened (screwed it out) a little bit because it felt like it was stretchign every time i would throw it into gear and launch (wouldn't spin much at launch, kind of a slowish, high rpm launch; wouoldn't spin into second gear;;;; and when i threw it into third it would kind of hold around 70 mph and start going up all of a sudden, and going into 4th it would hold at 100 for a second then start going up)......... is that a sign of a stretching clutch cable???

see, the thing is, when i tighten the cable too much (screw it out) i start to hear the TOB squealing. and my clutch pedal VIBRATES like hell when it is screwed in a lot (loosening the cable). like i can hear it when i'm driving and oh my god does it **** me off. it feels like something is wrong.

i've done the hammering test in 4th and 5th at low rpms. it slams onto gear pretty hard with no signs of the clutch slipping. do you mean stretching? if i notice stretching?

I have the same damned problem man. If I loosen off on my adjustable cable, the pedal vibrates, pops, and makes all kinds of noise. If I tighten it up, it goes away.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

bumping this to see if nayone else has any possible leads...
Old 09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

TOB? The stock TOB are a common problem with these transmissions...

I have a steeda adjustable cable/quadrant and i have had no issues with it (1.5 years).

Use brake cleaner and spray the clutch/pressure plate assembly, mine seemed to grip and run smoother afterward. Also, how long ago have you changed your transmission fluid. Mobile 1 synthetic is a very good fluid to change in, much smoother.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:52 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

is it ok to spray the clutch with that stuff? is carb cleaner ok? how do i do it, just take off the box on the side of the tranny and spray the pressure plate? how much?

and my car almost has 50k on it. good time to change the fluid?