4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Are they trying to sucker me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 AM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

Default Are they trying to sucker me?

I have a 2000 Mustang GT with paxton novi 2000 supercharger.. I just purchased a typhoon uppter intake, bbk long tube headers, bbk x pipe, and a bbk 78mm throttle body. I call the tune shop which is about 2 hours away. I ask them do I need to tune my car after bolting all that on. They say yes 400 bucks to tune it. So ok. Then I ask if I bolt all my stuff on and drive it directly there (2 hours away).. will it be safe enough for my car to make it there. They say no, that they will need to install the stuff also. Are they trying to sucker me into spending alot more money by installing all those parts? Because Im waiting on an email on what the final price is if they do everything. Im sure it's going to be expensive!! Anyone know if thats BS!! that I can't drive it 2 hours to the tune shop?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

OK dude, like we told you in your other two threads. when you change things concerning your intake or exhaust and your blown, you need to have it tuned. you SHOULD be ok to drive it as long as your not a dumb*** and you STAY OUT OF BOOST the entire way to the shop. if you boost it, you could blow it. i wont put guarantees either way tho. are they trying to sucker you in, they are always trying to sucker you in. but we aren't telling you over and over again that you need to get your car tuned immiedately after installing things just to hear the sound of our voices (or keys crunching...whatever)

always best to caution on the side of safety. tow it. it costs like 20 bucks to rent a car dolly from uhaul.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

/\/\

What he said.

I sure as hell wouldn't drive it two hours after installing that stuff on a S/C engine until I had a tune.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

I see.. Well I just got the email back from them.. They want $1,050 dollars just to install the BBK headers and x pipe.. WOW!!!!! and only $89 dollars to install the typhoon ITM and BBK TB.... My local mechanic told me he'd install all of it for $200... Looks like i will be taking my chances slow driving it after to get it tuned..
Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You really should have it towed, or as also mentioned above rent a car dolly. I would call your tuner before you embark on this little journey and ask how much a new engine is gonna cost if you melt the pistons on the way there and then compare that to the cost of your alternatives. Pay now or pay later?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chasen1982
I see.. Well I just got the email back from them.. They want $1,050 dollars just to install the BBK headers and x pipe.. WOW!!!!! and only $89 dollars to install the typhoon ITM and BBK TB.... My local mechanic told me he'd install all of it for $200... Looks like i will be taking my chances slow driving it after to get it tuned..

Headers can be a real pain in the butt to install sometimes esp if talking longtubes, clearance issues ect, takes even somebody really skilled hours to do it. A cai and tb can be thrown on pretty easily.

But $1k DOES sound like a LOT to install that!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

No tuning/performance shop is going to tell you it's OK to drive 100 miles after those upgrades and not retuning--they'd have to have "OK, go ahead and sue me!" tattooed on their forehead.

As to $1100 to install the LTs, etc.; IMHO it's at the top end, however for work done in a high quality reputable shop, that will stand behind their work,--and pays taxes (business and employer), and pays rent, and pays for licenses, and utilities, and insurance (property, workmans comp, etc.)--and wants to have some left to feed their family, which BTW they will have to pay taxes on...

If you have never run a business in this country you don't have a clue as to what it costs to do so...

In 34 days We the People can start taking back America!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

I finally figured out what Im going to do.. Im going to let my friend/mechanic install the headers and x pipe for 100 bucks.. Then drive the car to the tune shop and let them install all the intake parts TB and ITM for 89.00 bucks and then the tune for 400.. I feel very confident I can drive my car there with just exhaust upgrades and no intake upgrades. This sound like a good idea?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

Installing headers is about a 6 hour job. With just the exhaust going on your car, you should be fine to drive it.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM
bell206doc

OP, You have had many reputable ppl on here tell you basically the same thing, its a bad idea to drive the car without a tune, I have been on here for years and have learned to listen to what ppl with experience say.

Your obviously gonna do what you want, its your car so just do it and quit asking ppls
opinion.

my appologies for being harsh, but it is what it is.

/ end thread

Quick Reply: Are they trying to sucker me?