4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What clutch should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Default What clutch should I go with?

I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times but I haven't really came across someone with a stock gt asking what clutch to get so I figured I'd ask. My 01 is stock and is my DD and I don't have any mods planned out in the near future. That's what my fox is for. So what clutch would you recommend me getting for my application. Now I don't really care about stiffness because my old clutch, which I loved and had no problems with (but have no idea what kind it is) was stiff as hell. The only reason why I'm replacing it is because I replaced the motor and I have both the motor and tranny out and ready to be dropped back in. I figured I'd just go ahead and put an OEM one in but after my last clutch I'd hate to be stuck with a sh*tty clutch.

So thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

if you dont care about stiffness king cobras are a popular choice.

I myself will be buying a centerforce though, because a stiff clutch is pointless and annoying as F*** (if I can have a equally good/better clutch that has a softer pedal)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

FWIW I did a bit of research when replacing mine and ended up with a RAM HDX clutch from Summit (their house version branded the "Muscle Car Series"), and a Ralco RZ Chromoly lightweight flywheel (the photo is of an 8-bolt wheel, but this is a 6-bolt unit).

The Ralco flywheels are not well-known in the Mustang community, however I have used them in the past with great success. They are very well-made, and significantly lighter than OEM; the Mustang unit was 10+ lbs lighter than the stock unit. The Ram clutch assembly was nearly 4 lbs lighter than stock.

I have 2.5k+ miles on it now and am very pleased with the combination...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

CENTERFORCE!!! BTW, more information on chromoly flywheels por favor!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by teej281
CENTERFORCE!!! BTW, more information on chromoly flywheels por favor!!!
In what way? It's gorgeously CNC machined from a 4140 Chromoly steel forging, SFI 1.1 rated, design tested to 12k rpm, and precision balanced. The ring gear teeth are milled into the forging, not pressed on.

Exedy, F1 Racing, and others also offer them, however I think Ralco is the manufacturer for most if not all, UltraRev and CoolCarParts seem to be exclusive US distribution channels for the Ralco direct products.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

If it a stock car and will stay that way, why not just get a stock replacement? It will be hard to beat the price or keep the comfort of driving a stock clutch. I would have to agree with Teej that the Centerforce in an awesome clutch and it has handled 20K on my car including about 10K that were at +425rwhp when I was running a blower without skipping a beat......but it is much more expensive than a stock unit.

Most other aftermarket replacements sacrifice comfort of driving by increasing the the pedal pressure required and increasing the holding power. For a stock car, that is not needed or wanted for someone looking to maintain a comfortable DD ride.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Centerforce DF!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:54 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

how many miles are on your car now? if your not planning on modding just go oem or maybe something a little more hd, nothing to crazy
Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

So is chromoly lighter than aluminum?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by teej281
So is chromoly lighter than aluminum?
No, I don't believe I said that, as it would be a silly thing to say.

Steel is roughly 490lb/ft³, aluminum is roughly 170lb/ft³...

What I said was that the Ralco RZ flywheel was a bit more than 10lbs lighter than the OEM flywheel, coming in at 16.1lbs. The OEM iron wheel was 26.5lbs.

As both aluminum and iron have lesser tensile strengths, as compared to alloy steel, any component fabricated from either has to have larger cross sections at critical points, to withstand the fixed and well-defined stresses and strains a flywheel is subject to--larger sections = more volume = proportionally more weight...

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: What clutch should I go with?