4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Best place to buy a forged shortblock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

just hope 400rwhp isn't too slow!!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Here is where so many people misconstrue, the block itself whether stock or aftermarket will hold the power (many aftermarket short blocks are used castings). It is the internals that determine how much power is held before failure. 99% of the time you hear of blocks failing is due to the internals failing (crank, rods, pistons) and breaking the block casting on they're way down to the pan (or out the side).
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
Here is where so many people misconstrue, the block itself whether stock or aftermarket will hold the power (many aftermarket short blocks are used castings). It is the internals that determine how much power is held before failure. 99% of the time you hear of blocks failing is due to the internals failing (crank, rods, pistons) and breaking the block casting on they're way down to the pan (or out the side).
This i know, but isn't it easier to just buy a perassembled shortblock than it is to buy the pieces and just rebuild the block that u already have(not to mention shorter down time)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I was just looking at all the MMR short blocks, and I think those are amazing prices. Where I'm at, I don't know if I would trust any machine shop here. Having it all done, ready to drop in would be nice.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If you want extreme quality, Wannabe's suggestion is exactly what you need. MMR is questionable. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Lizzyfan has an MMR900 if i remember correctly and its running just fine. But Ox's motor went up because of an MMR oil pump. So idk if I trust them as much as I used to.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:09 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

MMR has always had mixed results. They have guys running their motors for years at high hp levels yet there are several guys on here including Ox and Nanaki (most of you guys probly don't remember him) that have had issues with their motors.

Now that ordering an MPH shortblock isn't an option, I'd really just order a rotating assembly and have a machine shop do the work. There are a few other companies but most are either too expensive, or a pain in the *** to deal with.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:32 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, I personally would love for John Tymenski to build me a shortblock. But with his rotating assemblies costing about as much as an MMR900 shortblock, kinda makes me want to go MMR. But John does top notch work though and I'd have complete confidence that his work would be perfect.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

If money isn't a problem, why not get a sean hyland build? The guy literally wrote the book on building modular fords
Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well John Tymenski DESIGNED AND BUILT the modular motor. lol thats why. Sean Hyland aint all that great. I have one of his books...not impressed.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
MMR has always had mixed results. They have guys running their motors for years at high hp levels yet there are several guys on here including Ox and Nanaki (most of you guys probly don't remember him) that have had issues with their motors.

Now that ordering an MPH shortblock isn't an option, I'd really just order a rotating assembly and have a machine shop do the work. There are a few other companies but most are either too expensive, or a pain in the *** to deal with.
I believe mph had Proline race engines build their motors, so if you wanted and mph engine you could call proline.

Quick Reply: Best place to buy a forged shortblock?