4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Beginner in need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM
danny brez

Default Beginner in need of advice

Hi all,

my names dan and from liverpool in england.
iv'e always been a big fan of american cars and especially the mustangs, anyway a local garage to me has just got a 1999 35th anniversary convertible GT and ive fallen in love with her 'named her already' haha

im concerned as i dont know her history, our dvla records only go back to the time she was imported so i was concerned maybe she could of been clocked or damage/repair before she came here. i managed to get onto carfax an paid for a check which said she was manufactured in the states then shipped from GA Brunswick to Japan and thats where the trail goes cold....... if anyone could advise me on any sites to check her vin num over there or any other advice i would be extremely gratefull.
dan
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Sorry I'm not a big internet wiz but you could also have the car checked out by a local collision/auto body shop. They should be able to tell you if the cars been crunched, and if so, how good of a job the repairs were.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
danny brez

thanks for your reply......the records for both america and england are clean/no problems its when she goes to japan i lose records.....she has done some miles lol
Old 10-22-2010, 03:59 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

So who cares? lol, if it looks great and runs great....Look at it, love it, drive it like you stole it and take care of it.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
So who cares? lol, if it looks great and runs great....Look at it, love it, drive it like you stole it and take care of it.
not so, man. i had a 99 z28, ran great, rode great and had a clean carfax. but when i changed the oil in it some time after i bought it (3 months), i noticed the front sway bar had play in it. got checking it out, somebody crashed it and done a backyard fix on it.

get a body shop or a trustworthy shop to check it out before buying
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
not so, man. i had a 99 z28, ran great, rode great and had a clean carfax. but when i changed the oil in it some time after i bought it (3 months), i noticed the front sway bar had play in it. got checking it out, somebody crashed it and done a backyard fix on it.

get a body shop or a trustworthy shop to check it out before buying
could not agree more, that's why I say skip the continued search of the records and just have someone (3rd party) inspect the car.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:11 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

you could take a looks at some basic things like body lines, knock on some of the body panels and listen for the classic bondo thud, pop the hood and check to see if the fender bolts still have the paint on them
Old 10-22-2010, 07:36 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Dan,
I would make an effort to help you, however every time i play MW2 on Xbox Live with anyone from England, they make fun of me because i am American.
So sorry, i cannot help you.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by danny brez
Hi all,

my names dan and from liverpool in england.
iv'e always been a big fan of american cars and especially the mustangs, anyway a local garage to me has just got a 1999 35th anniversary convertible GT and ive fallen in love with her 'named her already' haha

im concerned as i dont know her history, our dvla records only go back to the time she was imported so i was concerned maybe she could of been clocked or damage/repair before she came here. i managed to get onto carfax an paid for a check which said she was manufactured in the states then shipped from GA Brunswick to Japan and thats where the trail goes cold....... if anyone could advise me on any sites to check her vin num over there or any other advice i would be extremely gratefull.
dan
In the first welcome to the forum! My mum was from Sweffling, Suffolk, a "war bride". As I recall we had a ruckus over here in the 60's that involved four fellows from Liverpool.

I agree with the others that you may have reached the point of diminishing returns regarding the car's history; but like you if it's there I'd like to know it--drive and enjoy.

My brother has a '99 35th GT with 145k miles on it, it's his baby and runs and looks like new...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
Dan,
I would make an effort to help you, however every time i play MW2 on Xbox Live with anyone from England, they make fun of me because i am American.
So sorry, i cannot help you.
this..

Quick Reply: Beginner in need of advice