4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

REALLY stupid question, but about launching...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Default REALLY stupid question, but about launching...

Um, yeah, how do you launch a car with a manual? I never really road race and I was thinking of going to the 1/4 track one day soon (I live in Northern VA, so if anyone knows any tracks, lemme know). But I don't know how to launch in a manual. Also, is power-shifting needed to get really a lower 1/4 time? These are such basic questions, but don't judge me, as I've only been driving a manual for about 9 months now and I haven't really raced yet.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Well first.. I would disable your traction control

Then, while in neutral, rev it up to 3k or so and dump the clutch. Hopefully you won't spin too much.

And quick shifting will definitely help your time at the track, I see you have a STS which is good
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

3k might be a bit high to just dump it maybe slip it 3k. You really have to just play around til you get it right.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

What you want to try and do is hold as high of a rev as you can can and then let the clutch out as quickly as possible all without excessive wheel spin....

You should try practicing on a small backroad first. Try launching off idle by flooring the gas pedal and dumping the clutch at the same time
Old 10-25-2010, 02:06 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

I would quickly slip the clutch at about 2500 (what i usually do) works pretty well... and if its your first time running a quarter then I definitely would NOT powershift until you are very comfortable with hitting the gates quickly and cleanly
Old 10-25-2010, 02:25 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

^this
Old 10-25-2010, 03:36 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

if your on street tires which i assume you are your prolly gonna need to keep it under 2000rpms on launch and slip the clutch..if you do have drag radials try dumping at 3k.

on street tires just do a little burnout to clean them off nothing more. on the 1st run i woud powershift into 2nd just to see if it would hold tracton or not but yes if would want the absolute best times power shift the F out of it.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Smile

Here's my opinion on it. 2k rpm, mild slip of the clutch so you don't shock the drivetrain, but release fast and let the wheels spin a little, not to much but get into it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, and then get fully into it as the wheels start to grab again. To much wheel spin is bad, not enough is also bad. Now this is on street tires, I assume that's what you're running since this is your first time.

Now onto powershifting... IMO it's stupid. Unless you wanna break your street car, don't do it, it's not going to make that much of a difference. Some guys won't agree with me, but I really see no point unless you're really going to broke... literally and figuratively. It's fun as hell don't get me wrong, but you won't see me doing it with any of the vehicles I drive on the street. Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

What gears do you have in the car? Any significant mods for power?

Street tires will not provide much traction with a stock, or nearly stock, suspension. If you have stock gears, you may benefit a little from 2500rpm clutch slip type launch.

Power shifting with street tires will only result in wheel spin when you change gears. Work on shifting quickly and consistently. I would not start out by trying to be the fastest gear jammer. That skill will improve with time and practice.

Go to the track and just have fun!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

agree, you cant dump the clutch unless you have very sticky tires and some suspension done. i start at about 2500-3000rpm and slip the clutch out. it takes practice to be able to do it without spinning too hard or bogging down, but you will eventually get it. don't expect amazing times your first few times out.

as far as power shifting... its pretty hard on your tranny and clutch, it will net you a couple tenths faster, but it isnt worth it to me, plus it takes some skill and speed to be able to properly do it so thats something you can work on later down the road after you have had some days at the strip under your belt. these transmissions (3650) also have a pretty common problem hitting third gear. if you try to slam into third, it will probably block you out. you'll understand what i mean if you have this problem (some people do, some dont). if you have the problem, you just have to slow down your 2-3 shift a tad bit.

Quick Reply: REALLY stupid question, but about launching...