4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Apparently my trans is gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:14 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Default Apparently my trans is gone

Well i have a automatic. My O/D off light will just randomly start flashing on and off, I took it to a shop so i could get the code translated. The code they told me was a 2-3 shift ,P0782, and they told me that this more then likely means that my trans has internal damage and that i will need to rebuild it or get a new trans. I would prefer to rebuild it, anyone have recommendations on a good shop in PA? around the philly area? or any suggestions? And also has anyone ever heard of the SCT X3 tuner causing the problem i am having? ( dont really want to change the trans so just throwing suggestions out there, if i need a new trans it is taking all the money i had for my april S/C build)
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

do you have the knowhow to do one yourself? it's really not that hard if you take your time, keep everything very well organized, and buy a rebuild book. might as well dip into the s/c fund a little more and add a stall while it's out also. .
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Call Alan at Dirty Dog Performance. He is in Ohio but is very experienced with the 4r70w and can build you a great converter, which I highly recommend you purchase when the trans is out.

I would definitely get a second opinion on what is really wrong with the trans. Doesn't seem like their reasoning was very thorough.

EDIT: After typing in your trouble code in the google bar this is seems like a common problem. One said it was like a $300 fix and the others say the problem is a stuck valve in the valvebody or a solenoid issue. If that is the case you don't need your trans rebuilt as you can replace the solenoids yourself very easily and you can get to your valvebody yourself.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Read these:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...unction-42419/
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ode-p0782.html
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...p-pleaase.html
Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

thank you gearhead that helps me out alot ill have to drop the trans and look at it. And i was planning on doing a 3800 stall anyways. Or does anyone recommend just going 5-speed if i have to get a new trans ?

Last edited by dwtjr3; 11-02-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Duck a 5 speed! Haha stupid driod not spelling what I want it to lol

But it just depends on your goals for your car. If you are going to auto x or twisties go 5-6 speed but if you want to go fast in a straight line stick with your auto and a 3800 stall.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

hahaha stupid droid and Alright i liked the idea of putting a 3800 stall anyways instead of all the headaches of switching to a 5 speed thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

I talked to alan at drity dog performance and he told me to check my speed sensor and all my connections. Then he told me that it is probably a solenoid or a valve sticking which is a $350 dollar kit if i just buy the complete rebuild kit and put it together my self, and then the price of a converter
Old 11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

So yeah screw your shop they want money. What does your trans do when this light flashes?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
I talked to alan at drity dog performance and he told me to check my speed sensor and all my connections. Then he told me that it is probably a solenoid or a valve sticking which is a $350 dollar kit if i just buy the complete rebuild kit and put it together my self, and then the price of a converter
Alan is a great guy. When I called around when I was shopping for a converter he was the most helpful and informative of the places I called, that's why I went with him.

So I take it you're going to buy the $350 kit and a converter from him? Did he recommend a converter for you?

Quick Reply: Apparently my trans is gone