4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Boost reliability? turbo vs. supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Default Boost reliability? turbo vs. supercharged

Hey guys,

Some people around here seem to always go through fazes on their preference for boosted build plans. One month its Turbo, the next its Kenne bell, another its something else. My question is simple - How does a properly tuned turbocharged setup compare in terms of reliability compared to say a 2.1 intercooled Kenne Bell setup, or a Procharged/Vortech setup?

I've been reading some things about turbocharged setups needing constant maintenance, whether it is burning wires on the hotside, etc. etc....

Nothing is bulletproof, so what are the major reliability disadvantages and/or advantages to twin screw/turbo/centri?

Lets keep this free of power/tq numbers...
Thanks!

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 11-02-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

One thing you have to watch out for with turbos are climate changes... Some people think you can have a 50 degree ambient temp change and do nothing. Also it's believed that turbos will load a stock engine too hard. But you can make equal power on less boost compared to a supercharger, so your need to up the boost is less.

Keep the turbo cool with a good intercooler (and possible meth) setup will go a long way as well.

So if you're not an idiot and keep on top of things, there is nothing wrong with a turboed car IMO.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I thought this would be helpful for all the people who are a little less knowledgable about some of this stuff who are considering boost. Turbo is without a doubt a huge undertaking, (but very worth it), and all of this constant talk about hp/tq, I figured how abuot reliability? I mean, who the heck wants to spend 4-7k on a boosted setup that runs like sh*t but makes good peak numbers?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:35 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Some people around here seem to always go through fazes on their preference for boosted build plans.
AKA YOU!!! I do too...but you change your mind on a daily basis.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

my friends turbo'ed honda is fast as hell but its always in the shop, my other friends aftercooled/12 psi 2v has been running flawless for like 6 months now
Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Hey I'm not pointing fingers here lol, I'm just trying to get some opinions and some solid facts out there for people considering going F/I. I can say all day that I want to do a terminator swap and turbo the hell out of it with meth and a small shot of nitrous or some other crap, but is that realistic for me? No. It's all BS until the build has begun.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Rob...we all know youre asking cus you want to know for your setup. lol Its good for everyone to know as well but you dont have to hide that you have a question.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:56 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
AKA YOU!!! I do too...but you change your mind on a daily basis.
+1...

no more threads untill you buy something lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
my friends turbo'ed honda is fast as hell but its always in the shop, my other friends aftercooled/12 psi 2v has been running flawless for like 6 months now
don't think the type of f/i is the problem BRAH!

i know a lot of people with hondas that make over 400whp and a few more in the 300s... and i don't see how its worth it, they break **** like its their job, i guess some people like working on cars more than driving them. Me i don't mind doing the work but i don't wanna do the same thing 5 times because it keeps breaking... my wallet doesn't like it eitherlol.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Dude, when hondas get that much power, they dont have options of parts that will hold that kinda power on a honda budget, so they just put in a stage 5 clutch that holds 350fwhp when they are making 500fwhp and blow it out several times rather than buy a twin/triple disc clutch and do it once...cheap bastards! LOL JK everyone.

Quick Reply: Boost reliability? turbo vs. supercharged