4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Mach 1 vs Cobra which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM
ssonsk

Default Mach 1 vs Cobra which to buy?

Hey i was wondering which would be a better buy for a daily driver?

and what are some major differences/advantages between the two

I've heard things like cobras have really strong cranks, and i know they have irs, but i don't know anything about the Mach 1 (and tbh i don't really know much about cobras either).

Please and thank you for your answers
Old 11-02-2010, 08:16 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

pointless question IMO. theres a mach1, a cobra, and a terminator (the 03-04 cobra). the termi is by far the better of the 3 cars, and really the only difference between the 99-01 cobra and mach1 is IRS on the cobra, quite a few small things, and the body. nothing too major. its basically a toss up between cobra (excluding the termi) and mach1 IMO. i would buy whichever one i found in nicer condition with the lower price.

mach 1 and cobra all have a forged crank, with the exception of the automatic tranny mach1.

they are both 4v motors.

99-01 cobra have a plain IRS. mach1 has a SRA.

now when you get into the 03/04 cobra, it too has IRS, but it has 31 spline axles and is beefed up, where the SRA and 99/01 are 28 spline. it has a t-56 tranny which is a 6sp tranny that hold a hell of a lot higher power numbers than the other ones. the entire rotating assembly is forged (pistons and rods, not just hte crank) and the motor in stock form will take 600-700whp all day, where you are limited to around 400 with the other 2. it also comes with an eaton supercharger on it so its pushing (ive heard underrated and its actually about 370whp stock but im not sure, ford rates it at 390 crank horsepower). boltons, a pulley, and a tune and you can be running in the ballpark of 450-500whp.

the 03/04 cobra (terminator) will easily run you 20+ grand for a nice one, they have held their value really well and will continue to do so. and they are getting harder to find ones that aren't modded to ****.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

^^ Alotta people have confirmed that the 01 Cobra has a 31 spline IRS setup as well...
Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 PM
ssonsk

Thank you for the reply

you answered another one of my inquiries.

If i get one the most i'm going to do is get a pully, a chip, and maybe gears

can a regular gt hold that daily?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MU71L4710N
pointless question IMO. theres a mach1, a cobra, and a terminator (the 03-04 cobra). the termi is by far the better of the 3 cars, and really the only difference between the 99-01 cobra and mach1 is IRS on the cobra, quite a few small things, and the body. nothing too major. its basically a toss up between cobra (excluding the termi) and mach1 IMO. i would buy whichever one i found in nicer condition with the lower price.

mach 1 and cobra all have a forged crank, with the exception of the automatic tranny mach1.

they are both 4v motors.

99-01 cobra have a plain IRS. mach1 has a SRA.

now when you get into the 03/04 cobra, it too has IRS, but it has 31 spline axles and is beefed up, where the SRA and 99/01 are 28 spline. it has a t-56 tranny which is a 6sp tranny that hold a hell of a lot higher power numbers than the other ones. the entire rotating assembly is forged (pistons and rods, not just hte crank) and the motor in stock form will take 600-700whp all day, where you are limited to around 400 with the other 2. it also comes with an eaton supercharger on it so its pushing (ive heard underrated and its actually about 370whp stock but im not sure, ford rates it at 390 crank horsepower). boltons, a pulley, and a tune and you can be running in the ballpark of 450-500whp.

the 03/04 cobra (terminator) will easily run you 20+ grand for a nice one, they have held their value really well and will continue to do so. and they are getting harder to find ones that aren't modded to ****.
i wouldn't say nothing too major... the mach has the same heads as the 03/04 cobras... and different cams, higher compression IRRC but not 100%.

99/01 cobra heads are well 99/01 cobra heads... not bad but not as good as 03/04 heads.

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
^^ Alotta people have confirmed that the 01 Cobra has a 31 spline IRS setup as well...
FALSE, Ford claimed this but they didn't actually go from 28 to 31 until 03, i've seen it first hand. Unless the one i saw was swapped... to a lesser spline... which i doubt.... and lets be honest the majority of those who say its 31 spline hear it from other people on the internet.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ssonsk
Thank you for the reply

GT is limited to around 400whp also....

Last edited by MU71L4710N; 11-02-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ssonsk
Thank you for the reply

First things first, pulley? or pullies?

When people talk about a pulley on an 03/04 cobra they are talking about going to a smaller pulley on the supercharger to make more boost.

On a GT/ all motor cars/ Pullies usually refer to underdrive pullies , which are frankly not worht the $.

Chips are outdated, Handheld tuners is modern and better, every car acts differently and deserves its own custom tune.

Gears are ALWAYs a good idea and possibly the best bang for the buck... defenetly on the low end of the money spectrum.

A GT will have no problem with these daily, just make sure its well maintained like any other car, theres people on these forums that daily drive superchared mustangs lol, they hold up well, a few bolt ons won't hurt anything.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
ssonsk

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
First things first, pulley? or pullies?

When people talk about a pulley on an 03/04 cobra they are talking about going to a smaller pulley on the supercharger to make more boost.

On a GT/ all motor cars/ Pullies usually refer to underdrive pullies , which are frankly not worht the $.

Chips are outdated, Handheld tuners is modern and better, every car acts differently and deserves its own custom tune.

Gears are ALWAYs a good idea and possibly the best bang for the buck... defenetly on the low end of the money spectrum.

A GT will have no problem with these daily, just make sure its well maintained like any other car, theres people on these forums that daily drive superchared mustangs lol, they hold up well, a few bolt ons won't hurt anything.
oh thanks i ment supercharger

oh and what about cams? are they worth it?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

on the cobra not really. you can easily spend well over 2 grand on cams. the smarter move would be use that money to replace the blower with a whipple/kenne bell and up the boost.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
FALSE, Ford claimed this but they didn't actually go from 28 to 31 until 03, i've seen it first hand. Unless the one i saw was swapped... to a lesser spline... which i doubt.... and lets be honest the majority of those who say its 31 spline hear it from other people on the internet.
I think your wrong on this one. Ford started using the 31 spine in 2001 because they had already had all the tooling set up for the 2000 Cobra R. and they just continued to use it in the regular Cobra's after that.
In my opinion the 01's that might have gotten a 28 spline could be early 01's and old stock was used up because the Cobra program ended so suddenly after the 99 MY because of the HP fiasco and if I remember right some NVH issues

Quick Reply: Mach 1 vs Cobra which to buy?