4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Winter project sooner than expected

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM
EC Stang

Default Winter project sooner than expected

I have not posted much here but I have been around and reading lots of posts and getting pointers and help from everyone here and felt its my time to actually come out and share some of my own stories.

First off setting up for a winter project turned out becoming an early winter project, who can wait when they start shopping for mustang parts online till the snow falls to install them? I was looking at lowering springs and ended up goi with Steeda. The car was all stock to start and I installed a MM steering shaft. It felt as if the steering got loser and smoother. Not happy so I then installed a pair of MM 4 bolt caster/camber plates with new tokico blue hp shocks and struts all around. I put about 4.5 ish of caster and about .8 on camber and feel the cars steering was better and it should come from ford this way. Now it sits on Jack stands waiting for new ford lower control arms since one of the ball joint boots had a rip in it and I don't feel like taking it apart again. I can't wait to finish this install but for now I'm waiting for fedex.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

What ford lower control arms? You mean like stock replacements? If so you should've gone with MMs. Just my opinion...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
EC Stang

Yes, stock factory replacements. Nit sure if that came out completely clear in my last post, sometimes my typing isn't as fast as my thinking. I was talking front lower control arms. I really got t hem for the ball joints already pressed in and ready to go. I was looking around for others out ther but I didn't want to go to the point of changing out the K member or installing coil overs so i was stuck with only a few options for arms with the stock spring location.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
EC Stang

Since i was in there and don't feel like going back to replace something later i installed new inner tie rod ends, sway bar links, and rack bushings. I will try and get a few pictures if i can find out how to post them. Now I am waiting on some rack bushings and need to set up the bump steer kit. I see the correct way to adjust bump steer and it looks like it can be a real pain of trial and error to get it right. I know it looks to be not the best way to adjust it, but i was going to make the tie rods parallel with the control arms for now and see how it rides.

does anybody have any experience at this already?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Are you talking about the a arms in the front or the control arms in the rear?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:52 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

He stated he was replacing it because of a ripped Ball Joint Boot and getting a part with a ball join already pressed in so he is refering the the front a-arm DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH As far as bump steer goes I have front coilvers and have the car dropped about 2 inches and I simply installed all the spacers for the the bump steer and it landed dead on.

Last edited by uberstang1; 11-11-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:55 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I know it looks to be not the best way to adjust it, but i was going to make the tie rods parallel with the control arms for now and see how it rides.
This is exactly what steeda tells you to do in their instructions.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM
EC Stang

I saw that about the steeda instructions online. I have the MM kit and in there instructions they describe how to adjust the bump steer kit using a jig getting it dead on. They have you taking out one of the springs in the front end so you can have the car go through its entire suspension travel with no binding and see how the spacers affect the toe using 2 dial indicators. Now thats perfection, and a lot more work.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
He stated he was replacing it because of a ripped Ball Joint Boot and getting a part with a ball join already pressed in so he is refering the the front a-arm DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH As far as bump steer goes I have front coilvers and have the car dropped about 2 inches and I simply installed all the spacers for the the bump steer and it landed dead on.
Well thats why i was confused dammit! hahahah
Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
EC Stang

Yes, i was talking about the front A arm. Install finished and front wheels pointed in the correct direction using levels, jack stands, string and measuring. Steering wheel straight as an arrow now. Eventually i will need to get an alignment when i find a shop that is willing to talk to me and not only do alignments to factory specs. All i can say is this is how the car supposed to come from the factory. Corners much better. cars stays flat and i can actually feel the road. I guess with the car handling better it isn't as smooth as it was but I was to excited to notice that much. After all it is a Mustang. As of now it didn't lower the car much, about a half inch for now with new poly isolators.