4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Might buy 2002 Mustang GT, has "Police Interceptor" badge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 PM
darkstarnes
2nd Gear Member

I dont know if dealers would do straight trade ins... but if you want a 2011 or 2012 just save your GLI until you can afford it... my opinion.... although, new edges are sweet I love mine =)
Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM
sailorflavor
2nd Gear Member

Just sayin'....

And I couldn't find any pictures but when I lived in Amarillo, Tx. which was most of my life we had a fleet of 01-02 Mustang Police cars.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 AM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLHunter
I'm planning to trade in my 05 GLI for it. It's worth, according to KBB, exactly the same amount as this Mustang. So, whether they give me $8,000 for my GLI and sell me the GT for $8,000, or they give me $6,000 and sell me the GT for $6,000, it's all the same. That's assuming they're willing to do a straight trade.

Best part about a trade like this: no sales tax.
I know exactly what your talking about I had a 2008 2.5S Jetta that was an absolute nightmare. The sensors were crap and the parts are extremely expensive. When the warranty ran out at 50k I sold it and bought an 04 GT with 50k on it and the one and only failure I had was a siezed passenger side caliper in front that only cost my $65 and I swaped myself. If it would have happened to the Jetta I bet the caliper would have been like $150 and I would have needed triple square keys. One other problem with the Mustang was a creaking that I fixed using cliffyk's fix and as I said again Mustangs are really easy to work on so you'll save big $$$.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
darkshadow03gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
+1 man, thats WAYYY to high for the milage ESP if you are paying cash... i could see that at a dealership but i wouldn't give more than $6,500 cash for it, once a car rolls over 100k value decrease severly.
Says who? Mileage actually does little to change the price of a vehicle. It might be worth less to you at that point but the true value doesn't decrease severely at or above 100K miles.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:44 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I got my 98 with 118k on it for $4,500 2gs under blue book in the same condition as that from a dealership. Get to work and get her cheap. Theres plenty of b/s you can sling to bring the price down on a car since most people looking to spend that money walk on a 100k mile vehicle. If its not the correct engine, theres a big price cut right there.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkshadow03gt
Says who? Mileage actually does little to change the price of a vehicle. It might be worth less to you at that point but the true value doesn't decrease severely at or above 100K miles.
Uhh idk about you, but from where I'm from, a cars mileage totally dictates the price of the car.

A 2004 GT with 10,000 will be at least 5,000 more than a 2004 GT with 90,000 miles.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLHunter
Thanks for the input. The price is actually a little lower than what KBB recommends for a car like this in "good" condition. I realize that doesn't mean much. I'll probably talk him down to $7,500 or maybe lower since I'm paying cash. Carfax is clean.

I'm currently driving a 2005 VW Jetta GLI. It's been a complete nightmare. I've poured thousands and thousands of dollars into this POS, and it only has 70,000 miles on it. I'll never own a VW again. I'm saving up to buy a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT, maybe even a Boss 302, but that'll be in two years or so. This is just to hold me over until then!
$7500 is way too much for that car.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkshadow03gt
REALLY? Every car I have bought, or even witnessed my parents buy has its price tied to a few major things - Mileage, model year, and options. Obviously there are other things just as important (ie, does it run smooth, but we usually buy new so this isnt a real issue) but the fact is, when we bought used the price will change DRASTICALLY as you add miles. Just wondering myself, is this not an issue with mustangs?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 PM
DLHunter

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
REALLY? Every car I have bought, or even witnessed my parents buy has its price tied to a few major things - Mileage, model year, and options. Obviously there are other things just as important (ie, does it run smooth, but we usually buy new so this isnt a real issue) but the fact is, when we bought used the price will change DRASTICALLY as you add miles. Just wondering myself, is this not an issue with mustangs?
I think what he means is that the value doesn't just drop by an additional 50% once the odometer goes from 99,999 to 100,000.

It used to be that a car with 100k miles was seen as past its glory years, but people have realized more and more that a well maintained car can roll well into the 200k range while still being moderately reliable. A friend of mine just had his Silverado hit 300k. Regular, diligent maintenance is to credit for that.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:58 PM
1stPoney

Default POLICE INTERCEPTOR

Car looks to nice to have been a squad car. I own a 2003 Police interceptor mustang and you can tell it was driven. Marks in the paint where the decals were removed. It was in service in Georgia. The one pictured here is way to clean. No evidence of radio mounts or any cop stuff. Mine has a hole in the head liner where some thing was mounted on the ceiling. I replaced the center console because of all the screw holes from mounting radio microphones and other electronics. It looks nice inside now but still not as nice as the one your looking at. Drivers seat has wear marks from the butt of the officers duty weapon.

Quick Reply: Might buy 2002 Mustang GT, has "Police Interceptor" badge?