4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4.6 general chat

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
Lmao.

On a side note,I am thinking about building an AR15
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Just remember, you get what you pay for. BCM & Larue are what I prefer. Palmetto State armory, M&P, Rock River Arms are good enough for fun plinkers and range duty. Colts are fine but there are better. Bushmaster's are OK but they are not the great and powerful Oz.

A Midlength gas system in a 16" barrel will shoot softer than a Carbine length gas system. Midlengths require good Gov. standard ammo to run reliably. Carbine and rifles will shoot anything. A rifle will be the smoothest shooting of anything.

Make sure you buy a decent lower but it doesn't have to be really expensive, 150-300 for a complete lower is OK for what most people need. Go with a USGI trigger group or a Geeselze (No idea how to spell it) if you're going to be doing a lot of training and shooting.

A lightweight barrel profile is just as good as a heavy Gov profile in a carbine. CHF are better than regular.

If you go with a non chrome lined barrel you'll need to clean it more.

That's all the thoughts I can spit out right now about it. If you already knew all of this I'm sorry for implying tat you didn't know it. If I had someone tell me these things in the beginning I would have saved thousands of dollars and a lot of time.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Just remember, you get what you pay for. BCM & Larue are what I prefer. Palmetto State armory, M&P, Rock River Arms are good enough for fun plinkers and range duty. Colts are fine but there are better. Bushmaster's are OK but they are not the great and powerful Oz.

A Midlength gas system in a 16" barrel will shoot softer than a Carbine length gas system. Midlengths require good Gov. standard ammo to run reliably. Carbine and rifles will shoot anything. A rifle will be the smoothest shooting of anything.

Make sure you buy a decent lower but it doesn't have to be really expensive, 150-300 for a complete lower is OK for what most people need. Go with a USGI trigger group or a Geeselze (No idea how to spell it) if you're going to be doing a lot of training and shooting.

A lightweight barrel profile is just as good as a heavy Gov profile in a carbine. CHF are better than regular.

If you go with a non chrome lined barrel you'll need to clean it more.

That's all the thoughts I can spit out right now about it. If you already knew all of this I'm sorry for implying tat you didn't know it. If I had someone tell me these things in the beginning I would have saved thousands of dollars and a lot of time.
I knew some but not all, thanks.

If I decide to buy and not build, the s&w m and p 15 seems to be a good bang for your buck deal
Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Also I have been looking at palmetto state armory which you mentioned, and strider tactical I believe it is called
Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

PSA has a really nice Dizzy upper. :0)
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

PSA has a really nice Dizzy upper. :0)
Dizzy?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

A dissipator. It's a 16" barrel upper with a midlength gas system w/ a low profile gas block, a Rifle length handguard with a pinned standard A2 front sight. (Obviously it doesn't have the gas tube connected)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

So I was driving the g/fs civic the other day and had a thought. What if I put a 4v motor in it, transmission, and beefed up the rear end? I kinda just chuckled and figured it would be too much work. Just some thoughts.

Quick Reply: 4.6 general chat