4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Do these things really matter?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:56 AM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Default Do these things really matter?

This is more just a matter of opinion, but I wanted some insight from actual Mustang owners.

So I bought my car as a salvage/rebuilt title. It had evidently been in an accident and totaled by the insurance company. From what I can tell, that happened in February of 2010. For an 11 year old car to be totaled, I'm not really that surprised. The guy who bought it before he sold it to me states that he bought it at auction and it needed a front bumper and a radiator. I had it inspected, and the guy said all I needed was to change out my headlights as they were full of moisture. I love the car, but I can't shake that looming feeling that everyone around me subconsciously knows I bought a salvage, and instantly that mythos of "IT'S GOING TO FALL APART!" kicks in. I've had a lot of fun the last month customizing it and performing maintenance work to it, and it runs great, drives great.. Anyone else know what I mean? I've seen some impressive Mustangs built from wrecks.

Furthermore, what's the perception in most Mustang communities about using traits of other cars in a stock GT? For instance, I love the Cobra front bumper, hood, I love the Bullit wheels and shaved spoiler, but the last thing I want is ridicule everywhere I go because I'm trying to be a poser or a fake. I know it should only matter how I feel about my car, but like I said, these are all just insight questions.

Thanks to anyone that reads.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I've had cars wrecked and rebuilt several times. As long as you are happy with it, and aware of it - I'd vote thumbs up.

As for adding parts from other cars. I think most would agree it's ok. Just don't add a badge or name to it. That's usually frowned upon. Some of the nicest Mustangs I've seen have parts from some other version of a Mustang on them.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

Ill tell you from first hand experience as I work as a Auto Damage Adjuster for one of the big Insurance companies.. In my state NY a financial total loss is when the cost of repair equals or exceeds the Actual Cash Value of the car. So assuming a car cost 1k it takes 750 to declare it a total.

So dont let the word Total loss scare you, It doesn't mean the car was a train wreck, it just means it wasn't cost effective. Take a 2000 mustang with avg mileage and it gets into a front end collision and both air bags pop.. The chance of this car totalling after writing for repair/replacement of essential parts is very likely.. But a 2010 mustang that same repair would fall far under its value and would be cost effective to fix.

hope that makes you feel better, In my field of work I see tons of cars that I am dissapointed to total, But I have to make the most cost effective choice for my company all while protecting the financial interest of owners/lien holders.

A quick tip is to find out what insurance company totalled it, it may be a long shot but ask them to provide you the original estimate written on the car. I have done so for other types of investigation. Read it for yourself and deem if its safe or not.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If it was just a bumper, headlights and a hood and it was salvaged that just a label but in all actuality that damage is nothing at all. Was the rad support even replaced??? If not I would consider that a fender bender.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:32 AM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

mine was salvaged and has a rebuilt title. I bought it bone stock with a little over 100K on it and I have over 145K on it now and dont regret it at all. Can you tell its a salvage car from my pics? Don't think so.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Default Thanks guys.

I really appreciate all the positive reinforcement. The car is unbelievable, the interior is practically immaculate, and the odometer sits at 111k. From what I can tell in the short time I've owned it, it's great. I'm really happy with it. I look forward to doing more to it.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by medrick
mine was salvaged and has a rebuilt title. I bought it bone stock with a little over 100K on it and I have over 145K on it now and dont regret it at all. Can you tell its a salvage car from my pics? Don't think so.

Definitely not. Yours is extremely nice and gives me a lot of hope. Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

my car SHOULD have been totalled from when i hit a telephone pole but it wasnt. the estimate came out to be about 100$ short of the total mark but they forgot to add a few things to their estimates. once they were all said and done they had spent damn near the value of my car (they estimated it to around 11-12 grand or something and they had spent about 10,500$ repairing it...when it only took like 9300 to total it).

so i'm basically driving a car that should have been totalled out and would now have a salvage title, but you can't tell. if it was repaired PROPERLY there is no reason to be concerned about the car falling apart. i havent had a single thing go wrong in a year and a half since the accident from any of the repair work *knocks on wood*

side note: i would never buy a flood car. but i would consider buying a wrecked salvage title car if it was cheap enough and had the paperwork for repairs and such.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

My car is a rebuilt title (didn't find out until after I bought it) but the only time it is ever going to matter is if I try to sell it.
Like stated add what you want but stay away from badges claiming to be something your car is not
Old 11-25-2010, 11:49 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
My car is a rebuilt title (didn't find out until after I bought it) but the only time it is ever going to matter is if I try to sell it.
Like stated add what you want but stay away from badges claiming to be something your car is not
Situation unfolded the same for me. Awesome hood/wheels on yours, by the way. Thanks again for the feedback.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do these things really matter?