4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Exhaust questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust questions..

Hey friends,

So my 99 GT is finally on the road, I've had it on the road for nearly a week and it's a blast to drive.. I'm extremely pleased with it. After all the bonehead problems I've had with it since I bought it, it DID pass inspection after I replaced the water logged headlights. I bought two Flowmaster 44's from American Muscle to weld in there a while back, and I took it to Midas, because here in Northern Virginia, there doesn't appear to be many custom exhaust places or performance shops (nobody cares about american muscle anymore in liberal DC).

So anyways, the point of my question is, the guy at Midas said that my exhaust, basically from the stock H pipe back, needs to be replaced. Evidently, verbatim, my "flanges are broken, pipes are rusted, and one of the mufflers is hanging low because it's been re-welded." So, it sounds like I basically need a cat back exhaust.. only problem is I already own two mufflers. His quote to fix my pipes and weld my mufflers in? -- $1000. So, naturally, he pushed for me to get it done right then and there and, I don't know about you, but I don't have thousands of dollars laying around in my pockets.

So what're your opinions? Should I sell the two 44 mufflers and buy a cat back and have someone put it in for me? Can a cat back be bolted in as a DIY? I can't weld, obviously, but I've done enough work to know my way around. Does anyone sell cat backs without the exhausts? I really don't feel like forking double the price of a nice cat back system over to Midas..

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
MJH78
3rd Gear Member

Keep the mufflers and take it to a good exhaust shop. They can fabricate and repair as needed. You don't necessarily have to rip out the whole system because a muffler is hanging low. Take a look at the midpipe. Might have some rust on the outside, but if the pipes are still solid and the rust isn't eating holes in them, then leave it. Hard to say if the guy is just full of it and trying to make a sale or if your system is truly shot to hell. If it is, you could buy a catback system for $450, a catted midpipe for 250 or so? that will all bolt on. That's 700 there for a whole system from the midpipe back.

Last edited by MJH78; 12-06-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to stick it out and try and find a good shop. There's a shop back home that has a pretty good reputation, maybe they'll give me a better deal. We all know about the stereotypes when it comes to mechanics and overcharging. That's why I'm trying to work on most things myself. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If you do end up purchasing a cat back system you should have no problem installing it yourself. If you have a socket set and a couple jack stands and can read simple instructions you'll be fine. All of the cat backs out there I'm aware of just literally bolt in; the pipe sections (about 4 per side, plus muffler) go together with clamps. The easiest way to remove the stock exhaust is to cut the pipes (Sawzall works well for this) just behind the axle and after that removal is pretty self explanatory as you're under the car staring at it. Only takes a couple hours and a tall can of your favorite domestic beer to do.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
99GTM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
If you do end up purchasing a cat back system you should have no problem installing it yourself. If you have a socket set and a couple jack stands and can read simple instructions you'll be fine. All of the cat backs out there I'm aware of just literally bolt in; the pipe sections (about 4 per side, plus muffler) go together with clamps. The easiest way to remove the stock exhaust is to cut the pipes (Sawzall works well for this) just behind the axle and after that removal is pretty self explanatory as you're under the car staring at it. Only takes a couple hours and a tall can of your favorite domestic beer to do.
Ah, I can definitely do that. I'd have no problem buying some jack stands and doing this myself. My dad has some ramps back home and whatnot. I really want to put in my own cat-back system, but I already purchased the mufflers. I guess I could buy a compatible cat back system and not use the mufflers that came with it, but it seems like a waste. I just don't want to get reamed by a custom shop. Thanks for the input man.