4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Got me some HIDs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

HOSS,
Articles talk about there being factors besides just light intensity that effect how effectively we see items. The color of the light and where the light is directed also play a role in how well we see.

Cliffy,
I think there are some valid points made in the article. I have driven cars with HID, but I swear that my wife's Miata has hands down the best headlights I have driven. Hers are simply factory projectors with aftermarket 4000K bulbs. I have always preferred light in the 4000K range, and the article suggests that there is probably a reason for that. Additionally, I always run her fog lights which cast light down low in front and a little more to the sides. This also is covered in the article as a probable factor.

I can not say that some benefit is not realized by those with HID in stcok housings, but it does seem to indicate that there may be a relatively low benefit while at the same time creating issues for other drivers. There in lies my internal debate over HIDs for my situation.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I ran Hella 7-1/4" projectors in my '90, '92, and '93 (Sunburst) barn-door Miatas--incandescent but hand's down the best headlights I've ever had.

That's why I got the 100W Hella dichroic fogs for my GT:

They are tiny, and look odd to many, but damn can they cut through fog...
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
HOSS,
Articles talk about there being factors besides just light intensity that effect how effectively we see items. The color of the light and where the light is directed also play a role in how well we see.

Cliffy,
I think there are some valid points made in the article. I have driven cars with HID, but I swear that my wife's Miata has hands down the best headlights I have driven. Hers are simply factory projectors with aftermarket 4000K bulbs. I have always preferred light in the 4000K range, and the article suggests that there is probably a reason for that. Additionally, I always run her fog lights which cast light down low in front and a little more to the sides. This also is covered in the article as a probable factor.

I can not say that some benefit is not realized by those with HID in stcok housings, but it does seem to indicate that there may be a relatively low benefit while at the same time creating issues for other drivers. There in lies my internal debate over HIDs for my situation.

I realize this...but you cant sit here and tell me that 5000K HIDs are going to be WORSE than my stock bulbs.. I cant see **** at night when I drive my car. Even with my fogs on they still suck.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

LOL
That is funny Cliffy! I was looking at those tonight as a possible option for my car. I think they would make a huge improvement, but it would kill the stealthy appearance of the front of my car. I see that you have blacked out your grill also. I have a very dark and stealthy front end and would like to keep shiny items off the front end if possible...

That is one reason I had considered putting HIDs in my dark smoked headlights.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

two midgets strapped to my hood with flashlights would be better and brighter *not to mention safer (for me, not the midgets)* than what I've got going now.

I do believe that my '99 still has the original bulbs in the car. It had 48K and was 5 years old when I bought it, and I've never replaced the bulbs.

And my housings are fogged as hell....

My brights give me MAYBE 30-40 feet of a dull light, and almost nothing off the side of the road.

New housings + a good bulb?

And I laugh at the thought of my fogs doing anything besides doing a good job of looking like fog lights when they are turned on.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Hoss,
I don't think anyone is saying the HIDs will be worse. However, there probably is not a 300% improvement in visability even though there is now 300% more light intensity. If your HID are 5000K, then you are better than most. I have only seen 6000K and 8000K units. There is a pretty big difference between 4000K and even 6000K (8000K is much farther up the color chart). I suspect that everyone who has added HID to their car has seen some improvement in night vision. I am a little concerned at possibly/probably causing issues for others so that I may gain a little visability. I am hoping to find a solution that improves my situation without having a negative impact on my fellow drivers.

This is a great discussion to have so that we all can explore the advantages and disadvantages of HIDs in factory housings. Then we each make our assessment of whether we do it or not. I completely welcome input from all who have them.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I realize this...but you cant sit here and tell me that 5000K HIDs are going to be WORSE than my stock bulbs.. I cant see **** at night when I drive my car. Even with my fogs on they still suck.
I won't, because I do not have the stamina to argue with anyone about anything, this old age crap is catching up with me)--that said however color temperature is everything about seeing at night (think evolution and wood fire in a cave). Our eyes are most sensitive to green/yellow light; I.e. it takes less light at those color temperatures for use to see stuff.

I didn't make this up, it's just the way it is--that's why a 70W high-pressure sodium bulb can light up your back yard better than 2 or 3 150W incandescent floods.

The more you head toward blue the less desirable it becomes--5000°K is not bad--it's just a bit left of the peak on the above curve.

I really have no issues with the after market housings I have and Sylvania Silverstars (not Ultra); in fact I rarely use my brights except when driving through the National forests when who knows what is going to jump out in front of you.

If your OEM lights are THAT bad check the alignment, if adjusted to the factory/DOT specs they will suck. Raise the driver's side by 1° to 1.5°, and the passenger side by 2° to 4°, this will make a bunch of difference without affecting oncoming drivers.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
HOSS,

Cliffy,

Big part of why hid's seem to work better in your wife's miata has a lot to do with the projector setup that her car already has. The projector aims light differently than halogen based housings. It's one of the factors that was touched on but not talked about in the article.

It's a very good read and has a lot of great points and would love to read the rest of what the author has to say about HID's. I would like to know if they have found that this also applies for the few projector style headlamps that use halogen bulbs.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Aereon,
The lights in my wife's Miata are regular halogen bulbs, not HID units. That was the point I was trying to make. Well focused 4000K halogen lights can absolutely get the job done. Better than most...

I fear that high intensity lights of a 6000K or 8000K temp, which are also poorly focused, will do as much harm as good. A little better for me and a fair amount worse for others around me.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I won't, because I do not have the stamina to argue with anyone about anything, this old age crap is catching up with me)--that said however color temperature is everything about seeing at night (think evolution and wood fire in a cave). Our eyes are most sensitive to green/yellow light; I.e. it takes less light at those color temperatures for use to see stuff.

I didn't make this up, it's just the way it is--that's why a 70W high-pressure sodium bulb can light up your back yard better than 2 or 3 150W incandescent floods.

The more you head toward blue the less desirable it becomes--5000°K is not bad--it's just a bit left of the peak on the above curve.

I really have no issues with the after market housings I have and Sylvania Silverstars (not Ultra); in fact I rarely use my brights except when driving through the National forests when who knows what is going to jump out in front of you.

If your OEM lights are THAT bad check the alignment, if adjusted to the factory/DOT specs they will suck. Raise the driver's side by 1° to 1.5°, and the passenger side by 2° to 4°, this will make a bunch of difference without affecting oncoming drivers.
This is like gospel. The frequency or temperature of the light has everything to do with how well you can see at night. The best example I can give is the difference having a mag light vs an LED flashlight when working under your car. Sure the LED is much brighter in most cases, but you just can't see as well as if you were to use a regular bulb flashlight.

Edit: Again see the peak in the green.....human eye sensitivity is greatest there which is why night vision goggles are displayed in green mono. They could have made them in any color, but that is what the human eye best picks up and can differentiate between the most shades of.

Last edited by tbirdscwd; 12-19-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Got me some HIDs!