4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Question about upper control arm bushings (on the pumpkin)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about upper control arm bushings (on the pumpkin)

I am getting ready to order these:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-Control-Arms

I am wondering about the bushings on the rear end - are these the bushings:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...stallation-Kit

I see that there is a tool to remove them and press them in with the rear end in the car:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...m-Bushing-Tool

I hate to buy a tool I will likely only use one. Do I really need this?

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Its is VERY difficult to get the upper control arm bushing our of the ears on the pumpking without that tool, space is so limited and it requires a great deal of force to "hammer them out" you are better off getting the removal tool.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Its is VERY difficult to get the upper control arm bushing our of the ears on the pumpking without that tool, space is so limited and it requires a great deal of force to "hammer them out" you are better off getting the removal tool.
Thanks... I had a feeling that would be the case... I'll get the tool.

Can you tell if the link for the bushings is actually the bushings for the pumpkin? I see the ones I need on MM but they have the uppers for 10.00 more (I'm bargain hunting :-) ) I'd like to place the order for both at the same place if I can.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:44 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4050-B/
Buy all means use the tool, see if someone you know has one before purchasing it
Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4050-B/
Buy all means use the tool, see if someone you know has one before purchasing it
Thanks... BTW - why do they include the friction modifier? This is external of the diff, correct?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I think it is a BAD idea to run ANYTHING other than an OEM UCA on your ride, unless you are strictly a grocery-getter with 1/4 mile use. The OEM arms and bushings are soft with flexable arms for a reason.... the 4 link SUCKS for a street ride!

Rok... what are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

Jazzer
Old 12-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I think it is a BAD idea to run ANYTHING other than an OEM UCA on your ride, unless you are strictly a grocery-getter with 1/4 mile use. The OEM arms and bushings are soft with flexable arms for a reason.... the 4 link SUCKS for a street ride!

Jazzer
x eleventy billion, poormans 3 link can be done for about the same price.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Jazzer
Jazzer I been meaning to ask you're opinion on the team Z and baseline upper kits that are rod end both sides (with the shperical bushing in place on the pumpkin) but also relocate the mounting pounds on the pumpkin? What are you're thoughts on these setups?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I don't know how they do for hitting corners, but probably not much better than the OEM located ones, I just don't know. 1/4 mile guys swear by TeamZ / Baseline and both companies have similar products for this application and see both of them on very fast 1/4 mile rides constantly.

I have spoken to John Griggs about the installation of a PHB/TA set-up, as it relates to drag racing. He has installed them on 8 second cars and says they are an improvement over the 4-link/modified 4-link suspension of the Mustang for weight transfer. MM says the same thing on their website, but have done lots of research and unable to back it up from anywhere else. If one is looking for strictly grocery-getter and 1/4 mile ride, they will help to bring your presence at the Christmas tree

Jazzer
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Jazzer
Thanks for jumping in here, Jazzer... My car is driven about 1000 miles per year. I bought these UCA's because they have a rubber bushing rather than a urethane one - I read on your suspension writeup (and saw the pics of) the urethane boxed end UCA's and thought that since these were rubber, they would be flexible enough. Mine are worn out. It's is not a daily driver, mostly cruising and hitting it on on-ramps and the like, no racing, Just wanted to tighten up the rearend after 145000 miles... I have 3.73's, and also bought FRPP B springs for a small drop (I'm on a real budget and don't want the car to drag the ground, just lower and level it off a bit).

Quick Reply: Question about upper control arm bushings (on the pumpkin)