4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

96 Mystic Cobra / 04 Mystichrome Cobra Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I think it will hold some value. I've only seen one or two mystichrome cobra's like...ever. And Mustang's are quite common in this area. VERY common.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

If I had your car, I'd slam it, throw my wheels on it then put 4.30s in it. My buddy has a 96 mystic with 4.56s and exhaust and stuff... fun car, but it just sits and rots away now. I put 5k miles on my car since I got it late august
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 AM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

I say hold onto them and keep the miles down. Take them to shows or drive them on nice weekends. If you have the resources not to have to drive them then don't. It may be years before they become collectors like you see at Barrett or Russo, but it may happen. Hell who knew back in the day that the 429's would fetch $200,000 plus for a car that cost less then $9 grand. I always get **** from the Chevy guys for not driving my SS, but that is why I have the GT. So I can drive the cap out of it and leave the SS in the garage.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

It's a car....drive it. It's just paint. They will be worth their money just because you don't see them around.

Is there anything else on those cars that specify a mystichrome? I'm thinking, what is stoping someone from repainting a once black (or any color) 96 cobra with the mystichrome paint and adding the little interior details and jacking up the price??
Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Easy. The vin number tells what paint was put on the car. You'll be able to tell if it's a repaint if the paint doesn't match the vin number code.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Easy. The vin number tells what paint was put on the car. You'll be able to tell if it's a repaint if the paint doesn't match the vin number code.
DURRHH...brain fart... lol

I met a guy couple months ago at Modular Depot car show with a daily driven 03-04 mystichrome cobra....bone stock, not even lowered. Bought it new and has been driving it every day ever since.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 PM
96MysticJC
1st Gear Member

Okay well mystic cars are limited production, and they are supplied by SVT with paperwork saying build number out of 2000 mystics what number your car was painted. They also give you a certificate stating what number produced your cobra was out of the total amount of cobras made. So the mytics are further distinguished with additional paper work which leads me to believe they could be worth something down the road. I do love the paint on the car. It turns many heads when I do take it out. If you repaint your car a mystic color it wont be original i know that for a fact. I will just continue to keep the miles low and hope the economy turns around. The 04 mystichrome is further distinugished with mystic steering wheel and mystic colored seats. The was 500 convertibles made and 500 hard tops made and 1996 and 2004 are the only 2 years this car was made with color shifting paint. The car I previously owned that was 1996 mystic cobra was dirty when I bought it, but thats because it was sitting out on the car lot for some time. I bought it for $8,500 with 29,000 miles. I got it detailed and to my amazement about 200 small knicks in the paint appeared. Apparently the car was dirty for a reason. Needless to say I sold it and was still able to make $1,000 off of it. I lucked out. I bought this one and I am very happy with it. I paid $16,000 for it. I weighed my options on getting the other car repainted. They wanted $8,000 to repaint it. So I decided to part ways and buy this mystic with 2000 miles for $16,000. It was a no brainer, less miles, perfect paint. So thats my story and im sticking to it lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

OK I have to ask and I don't mean to sound like a dick but I probably will.
Why do you guys buy these vehicles if your not going to enjoy them. I'm not saying drive them every day but why even worry about the miles. The thought of ever owning a vehicle that isn't driven does not even register with me. I guess I'm trying to figure out the reasoning behind doing this type of thing
Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
OK I have to ask and I don't mean to sound like a dick but I probably will.
Why do you guys buy these vehicles if your not going to enjoy them. I'm not saying drive them every day but why even worry about the miles. The thought of ever owning a vehicle that isn't driven does not even register with me. I guess I'm trying to figure out the reasoning behind doing this type of thing
Just so someone can say "I have it".
Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Just so someone can say "I have it".
LOL and then you ask them "It must be fun to drive huh" Then they dont know how to respond because they dont drive it enough just to "keep the miles down" lol

Congrats....I won't care to buy one though for the reason you own it. I'd rather have a car to DRIVE and not sit in a garage and hope the value goes up. If anything it would become a summer DD, put away for the winter.

Quick Reply: 96 Mystic Cobra / 04 Mystichrome Cobra Collectible?