4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

ANTI-CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

What do the ribs do for airflow? Is it like 'calculated' turbulence?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:57 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I read an article a while back (I think it was an SAE article) saying that factory intakes are designed in such a way to create a certain turbulence of airflow into the motor. Ford could have easily made a smooth, slick path to keep the already laminar airflow from the MAF screen as straight as possible to the TB, but they didnt. The ribs effect the intake velocity, I would imagine they are there more than anything to get the desired fluid flow velocity into the motor without creating bottlenecks.

The article never went in depth on any particular make from what I remember, just outlined the basic principals on the matter.

Last edited by H0SS302; 01-17-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
On Our edge cars there is NO IMPROVEMENT with a cai. NONE. Waste of money. Just pull of the silencer snorkel and done deal
pulling the silencer just makes a noise, it doesnt help improve performance

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89

I'm sorry. I cannot find the thread about different types of air filters, I read it a while ago. I retract my K&N statement.
and i remember that thread a while ago, whoever posted it had some numbers and all this crap in it to show that k&n was bad or something compared to other aftermarket filters

Last edited by MCxQubed; 01-18-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65mechanic
I'm pretty sure he is talking about the tube that sticks into the fender well, but I wouldn't remove that. Seems kind of important.
Originally Posted by everett
Not really.... It points into the fender. I took mine off. I noticed a slight better pull in the upper revs and opens the airbox so more surface area of filter is exposed
Yep, that side tube is there to reduce sucking/whistling noise, and I'm pretty sure that's all it does. If you remove it, like everett says, you get a bigger opening while still maintaining the good stock heat shield. I too reverted from a CAI to that setup on my old 04 GT. I don't know if it actually improves anything, but I agree with him that it seems to pull better, but that could just be our hopeful imagination...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
pulling the silencer just makes a noise, it doesnt help improve performance

and i remember that thread a while ago, whoever posted it had some numbers and all this crap in it to show that k&n was bad or something compared to other aftermarket filters
ok, so I didn't make that up in my sleep, glad to know I'm not going totally insane
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

It could be my imagination nut I want to believe in this lil free mod. All the other ones cost fairly big bucks so I wanna be happy about this lol one. K guys
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

The 05-up seem to benefit from a cai but in our cars it isnt worth the money as a performance mod but they do look nice...I don't believe in heat soak as the air takes maybe 3 seconds to get from filter to cylinder so if I was to get one it would be the shiny chrome one and I would put stickers on it
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i like the JLT myself looks wise.

and i remember a post some time ago that had all kinds of filters that were tested, and K&N seemed to allow more dirt to flow by and clogged up faster, i think the test was "sponsored" or done by AC Delco or something, so i dont know how "reliable" those tests are but hey, i guess it kinda makes sense, in order to flow more you gotta let more **** in the air by. but then again there's people out there that swear by them turbonator things too haha.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
i like the JLT myself looks wise.

and i remember a post some time ago that had all kinds of filters that were tested, and K&N seemed to allow more dirt to flow by and clogged up faster, i think the test was "sponsored" or done by AC Delco or something, so i dont know how "reliable" those tests are but hey, i guess it kinda makes sense, in order to flow more you gotta let more **** in the air by. but then again there's people out there that swear by them turbonator things too haha.
those don't work?!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
those don't work?!
lmao...