4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:43 PM
kobra67

Default Advise

I just bought my son a 2003 GT I am interested in doing a little work to it (minor bolt ons)to help it breath and sound little better. I will leave the bigger ticket items for him to add (and pay for).
This is problably beating a dead horse but looking for a little advise. The car is stock except some flowmaster mufflers. He is wanting a cold air intake. He can pick up a used MAC CAI wich looks like he would need to replace the filter for 40.00. He can get a new BBK from a friend for 90.00 or he can just do the K& N filter swap fpr about 50.00. From what I have seen paying 180.00 for a new CAI is not worth it by itself. Would it be worth adding one for these used prices. Also would a K& N filter fit the MAC CAI and the hole in the fender.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

CAI's really don't do much for our rides. I would just change the filter. Also, you could get a used aftermarket h pipe to go with those flows. They can be had for really cheap, it will add a few hp, and sound much more aggressive. Beyond that gears and a tune are the best bang for your buck.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

ya an cold air intake is pointless in 2v's
Old 01-20-2011, 05:32 PM
65mechanic
2nd Gear Member

I would just get a re-usable air filter for it. I've got a K&N for my GT and it runs the same as a CAI if not better. I actually took off my CAI for the stock K&N. Save your money and get some gears. I've got 3.73s for mine and the car pulls pretty good and I'm still getting around 21 mpg average. Get them professionally installed with a warranty, gears can be a tricky install.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Pretty much agree with everyone else. CAI system in a 2V is a waist of money. Sadly the 2V's don't respond to well to bolt on's. If you really want to wake the car up, I would start with gears. Everybody on here has their own opinion but I would think a 373 gear would be suffice, especially since you're just starting off modding it. Also as mrstang said a H-pipe (O/R if you can swing it) with flows are a must. Good luck also post some pics of the ride man..
Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 PM
terminatorcobra

gears, a tune, pullies, maybe throttle body just a little things to add a difference...but i would suggest getting the tuner first...then when u had the gears of a throttle body u can adjust it with the tuner and get the most out of it...also go with an h pipe...have a real nice muscle sound to em
Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Tune and Gears if you want something you can feel. H pipe or X pipe if you want something you can hear. Also if its a manual putting a S/T shifter on it makes it funner to drive as well.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Looks like the masses agree... Cai is a waste of money... I never bothered. The stocker already is a cai. A tuner for sure... Gears are a must
Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Considering gears it far past a minor bolt on, I think an offroad H pipe and flowmaster catback would make him more than happy to start with, the CAI would be a waste of money IMO.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
kobra67

Thanks for all the responses. A pretty overwhelming agreement on a waste of money.
A far as gears go it is a 5 speed and will more than likely get 3.73s is there a particular brand i should look at?

Quick Reply: Advise