4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

quick understanding about mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 PM
4.6Lpower

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Ok you are probably like Connecticut then. I assume you get the paper in the mail then you only have so much time to bring it to a state authorized emission test station.
well... there are a couple of bodyshops that do emissions. and if you pay them, they pass you. your engine light just can't be on.
my 2007 charger is loud and i pay him 50$ to pass
Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

welcome to the forum, where at in NJ are you at?

with flows you definitely want an aftermarket H or X pipe, i've heard the flows in person and with the stock H pipe, i feel they're just too quiet.

also check out the magnaflow magnapacks. less raspy, more grumbly low end sound. but in the end, its all about what YOU think of your car

BTW, if you need some help puttin somethin on your car, i'd gladly help out depending on how far you are from me.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

You don't need a tuner for an off-road mid-pipe to have no CEL. That is one option. Another option is purchasing MIL eliminators. And yes shops will install an o/r mid-pipe they will just keep your stock mid-pipe and make a profit by selling your cats. They just can't hack off your old cats, but that can "replace" them lol. That is unless you are in an emissions restricted area. Which good ole' Alabama doesn't have lol.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

hell, you could even make your own "splice in" mil eliminators.
http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=mil
i made a set awhile ago.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
4.6Lpower

Originally Posted by zero2005
welcome to the forum, where at in NJ are you at?

with flows you definitely want an aftermarket H or X pipe, i've heard the flows in person and with the stock H pipe, i feel they're just too quiet.

also check out the magnaflow magnapacks. less raspy, more grumbly low end sound. but in the end, its all about what YOU think of your car

BTW, if you need some help puttin somethin on your car, i'd gladly help out depending on how far you are from me.
Thanks man!
do you have a video of the magnaflow? and less rasping?
i like that one because it looks like it echoes in there, so much tone but then there are those that grumble like hell. i like both of em lol

i live in elizabeth NJ, you?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

im on McGuire AFB. bout an hour south of ya.

by less raspy i mean, like less tin-like. flowmasters have that higher pitched sort of "all metal" almost hollow sound. some people love it, some dont. its all about your own tastes. get what you like. its even better if you can preview the sounds in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIRIQ...eature=related
^^^ magnapack with stock H pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UvRPhwbEg
^^^ Magnapack with O/R X pipe.

compare to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIa9WUHcMBM

there's all kinds of combo's you can do to the exhaust. what i like to do is simply find out what muffler sound i like best, then match the H or X pipe to match its tone then i do a search on youtube. unfortunately my exhaust setup is much different than a stock GT, since im running a turbo kit. i am running an SLP loudmouth 1 catback right now, and with my turbo its horrible lol.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.6Lpower
my state no longer does it. Gas stations do it and you pay
Seriously? I thought that they just did emission and that was it now. A few of my friends told me that they checked for cats. Maybe you just need to have no CEL?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 AM
4.6Lpower

Default personally

i'm not liking the magnaflow.. sounds like a harley
i like the flowmaster with O/R pipes so far, its that echoing satan gargle. But the last one had more growl than, i also like alot of low tone growl. what setup matches that?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HasABetterSN
sounds like hes running an off road H pipe under there, which is why it sounds so gnarly
Thats an upr x pipe he's running on there he states it like 6 seconds into the video.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
Thats an upr x pipe he's running on there he states it like 6 seconds into the video.
Nice, maybe I should pay more attention

Quick Reply: quick understanding about mustangs