4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

The Debate Between Purp & Kugzy....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Default The Debate Between Purp & Kugzy....

So Kugzy and I have both been considering Nitrous (100 shot) and Intercooled 2.1 Kenne Bells. Our mod plans are completely irrelevant here but we were talking on the phone and Kugzy brought up a good question, "Is 100shot or a KB more stress/strain on the stock motor?". Neither of us had any idea.....

So the debate is simple..... WHICH POWER ADDER BRINGS MORE STRESS TO THE STOCK MOTOR? A PROPERLY TUNED NITROUS SETUP OR A PROPERLY TUNED 2.1 KENNEBELL SETUP?

What are your thoughts....and why?

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 01-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Well, i've been running a 100 shot for about 3 years now, and haven't had a single issue. I have all stock parts including the clutch. I'm strongly considering the 2.1 KB as well.

Per hit of the throttle (compared to the KB) i think the nitrous is probably a bit more stressful, due to the instant hp & tq, but the blower will probably cause more overall wear over time. A twin screw will create tons of boost and power even at part throttle and whatnot. Obviously, the juice is a WOT or nothing kind of thing.

I can tell you that a strong running 100 shot will be very comparable to a 2.1 KB running 10-11 psi in terms of drag racing. I made a thread a while back where i ran a 2.1 KB 2 valve making around 415 rwhp (i was at 360 rwhp at the time) and we were almost dead even.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

A kenne bell puts more stress on the crank and the boost also inputs stress. The nitrous is going to just put stress on the rods more or less for comparisons sake. Also the kenne bell produces more heat, which could wear things out quicker as well. I'm still all for a kenne bell over spray for power there all the time though.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

From a simplistic point of view: KB stresses the motor while in boost vs. nitrous stresses the motor only at WOT. I figure most ppl will be in some form of boost more often than they will be at WOT in a nitrous setup. Therefore, the nitrous SHOULD be less stressful.

Interesting to think about tho...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

It is interesting because KB is "instant" everytime you touch the gas and once you spray nitrous its an instant hit....
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

kb is more stressful, by far.

****ing fairies.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

"Instant" isn't always a good term when talking positive displacement blowers. Cruising around, both my Eaton set ups see 25-28 psi VAC. Even getting into it a bit on the 4.6L will bring it up into a couple of psi on the street (on ramps and times like that). How much are you really seeing max boost on the street? Probably as much as you hit WOT w/ spray on the street.

Both with add 'stress'. Look at factory positive displacement blowers... on all sorts of make/model set ups. They go for a VERY long time when properly cared for.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

hmmm decisions, decisions....

Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Remember, with a blower.. you're using power to make power. Is it beneficial? Absolutely. Without a doubt, blowers pull on the crank bearings.. But you all need to understand that the way a motor works, it's trying to push the pistons out of the oil pan.

If it were me, I would probably swap in a v6 with nitrous...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:54 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Kugzgt, when i had the car retuned with the cams, it originally made like 410 rwhp IIRC, but we backed it down a bit. For whatever reason these cams responded really well to the nitrous. I was around 360 rwhp before the cams.

Just thought you might be interested.

Quick Reply: The Debate Between Purp & Kugzy....