4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

lol dont take that the wrong way buddy

The plugs come out from under the hood. You take a 7mm to remove the coils, and then a 5/8s spark plug socket with a locking extension to remove/install them..

No way the plugs are coming out from under the car
Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Like idk just questions i have didn't know if like you'd break a plug or something w/ common tools. And my tuner just said they may be hard to access from the top...just that it may be easier to jack it up and get under it thats all.

I never work on my car so all these things are new to me...so don't "face palm" me for asking questions...
Don' trip, I'm pretty sure we're all laughing with ya, not atcha. And yeah it should just be common tools like a deep 5/8" socket and a few different extensions. The only vehicles I know of where sometimes you need to be beneath the vehicle to get to the plugs sometimes are minivans w/ transverse mounted engines; like on my wife's van you can do that (takes an assortment of extensions and a swivel socket and you can't see what you're doing) or you have to remove the cowl and a bunch of other crap to get to the ones that are facing the firewall. If your guy does it from beneath the car I want some video of how he pulled it off.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Don' trip, I'm pretty sure we're all laughing with ya, not atcha. And yeah it should just be common tools like a deep 5/8" socket and a few different extensions. The only vehicles I know of where sometimes you need to be beneath the vehicle to get to the plugs sometimes are minivans w/ transverse mounted engines; like on my wife's van you can do that (takes an assortment of extensions and a swivel socket and you can't see what you're doing) or you have to remove the cowl and a bunch of other crap to get to the ones that are facing the firewall. If your guy does it from beneath the car I want some video of how he pulled it off.

I just did a tune up on a chevy minivan with a 3.4 v6 in it. half the plugs are out of sight. Just pop the motor mounts off the front, crank the engine forward with a ratchet strap, remove the coil pack and reach back there and get er done. Its a pain in the *** but its possible. A lot of imports require you to remove the intake manifold to get to the back bank
Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
lol dont take that the wrong way buddy

The plugs come out from under the hood. You take a 7mm to remove the coils, and then a 5/8s spark plug socket with a locking extension to remove/install them..

No way the plugs are coming out from under the car
Yea sorry just seemed like you were makin fun of me...i get it now. Sorry i didn't get much sleep last night lol.

But ok ill look into that i have a whole socket set at the house i can use...so i think im ok on that. And what about gapping them? I saw in here earlier someone said it (may have been you whitfox) but whats that about???
Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

For your car I'm pretty sure you just wanna gap them to factory spec which is .054 I think (don't have my Haynes handy at the moment) but doublecheck that, and most plugs come pre-gapped so all you need to do is verify that they're correct out of the box. Gaps other than factory spec tend to be for nitrous or f/i applications usually.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

You need a swivel for the back one
Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

And you don't have to remove fuel rails...you can to make it easier but it isn't necessary
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
I just did a tune up on a chevy minivan with a 3.4 v6 in it. half the plugs are out of sight. Just pop the motor mounts off the front, crank the engine forward with a ratchet strap, remove the coil pack and reach back there and get er done. Its a pain in the *** but its possible. A lot of imports require you to remove the intake manifold to get to the back bank
I think if I had a vehicle that required that much bs for what should be a simple straightforward job I would trade it's misfiring fouled up *** in for something else, lol. On a side note, I'm sure that the dealerships love it when the factory designs a car in such a way that the average jerkoff can't even perform basic maintenance.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 02-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

You could get to the spark plugs from the bottom with 2 swivels, an assortment of extensions, and some very skilled work.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I think if I had a vehicle that required that much bs for what should be a simple straightforward job I would trade it's misfiring fouled up *** in for something else, lol.
He makes it sound a lot worse than it is. He used to wrench, gave up, and just started wrenching again about 3 months ago. After your first chevy 3.1/.4/.8 transverse tune-up, they're a cake walk.

@ whitefox, cry harder brah?

Quick Reply: Spark plugs?