4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

misfire, need assistance!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Those 2 injectors could be bad or dirty
+1 exactly what i was gonna say. My buddy with a trans am had a misisfire on eight he replaced the coil and it didnt do anything. So he ask me what i though so we pulled the injector and it was caked with crap. So we let it soak in some cleaner and swapped it with the #1 injector and now it runs perfect.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
03stiffiGT

yea, i am about to pull them this wk sometime and clean them out and swap 2 and 3 with them and see what happens as the ckp and cmp have done nothing, and if that doesnt work then theres a guy on svtperformance that i bought these from that i can buy 8 more from for 60 and then just have 6 extras lol

on a side note that is a nasty lookin 5.0 stroker you have man, im tryin to get to about those same numbers or close to it without havin to do cams(but i doubt ill make it) this spring when i get my lts and x-pipe and other random stuff and 92 octane tune on the car, just waitin on this crappy ohio weather to clear out and warmth to be back lol
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM
03stiffiGT

going to replace the intake manifold gaskets and see if that may be the probelm from the old ones being cracked and causing compression to be low...random but worth a shot at this point
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03stiffiGT
yea, i am about to pull them this wk sometime and clean them out and swap 2 and 3 with them and see what happens as the ckp and cmp have done nothing, and if that doesnt work then theres a guy on svtperformance that i bought these from that i can buy 8 more from for 60 and then just have 6 extras lol

on a side note that is a nasty lookin 5.0 stroker you have man, im tryin to get to about those same numbers or close to it without havin to do cams(but i doubt ill make it) this spring when i get my lts and x-pipe and other random stuff and 92 octane tune on the car, just waitin on this crappy ohio weather to clear out and warmth to be back lol
Thanks yeah the weather has been crappy here too... Good luck with the build though!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03stiffiGT
going to replace the intake manifold gaskets and see if that may be the probelm from the old ones being cracked and causing compression to be low...random but worth a shot at this point
Trust me the last thing you want to do is throw $ at your car trying to figure out a problem. It never ends up being the cheeper way. If you can't figure it out doing simple things take it to a professional. It sucks but it will be the cheapest and smartest route
Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM
03stiffiGT

well so far everything has been pretty simple, and ive had too many bad experiences at 21 already with shops so i like to do it myself anymore and then i just like to complain about it lol, the gaskets arent anything bad to deal with either, just gotta take everything off of the intake manifold and drain some coolant and itll be good to pull off then bolt it all right back down
but yea ive been contemplating taking it to my buddys dealership and having one of the older experienced techs that he works with check it out, but thatll be after i clean the injectors(possibly replace), put in the new intake manifold gaskets and get a tune, thennnnnn ill be satisfied that i cant do anything else on my own to fix it, hopefully its not something bigger than what it seems like computer/wiring related
Old 02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
03stiffiGT

Any other input or ideas guys?? Im working on changing my gaskets today and gonna run some stp fuel injector cleaner through my tank next fill up and see if it does anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

did u swap those 2 suspect injectors around?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
03stiffiGT

I swapped the injectors, put new intake manifold gaskets on tonight and since i had to disconnect the battery it hasnt really done it yet, it did a little, but soon as it does and the cel comes back on im gonna see what it says, so im gonna get a tune now next i think
Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
03stiffiGT

Ok recap, been a while since I updated but still doing it, have replaced cylinder 1 and 4 injectors, replaced crankshaft sensor, replaced cam shaft sensor, replaced spark plugs, replaced coil plugs on 1 and 4, all cylinders 1 through 4 are overfueling but not 5 through 8, they are normal, and also all 8 cylinders are 175-180 compression so no internal damage is causing this.
Gonna replace the upstream o2 on passenger side and see if it went bad like we think and stops overfueling and misfiring. But if worse comes to worse I have already bought a pcm for cheap from a 02 gt that my buddy at ford will swap my info onto and also have a fpdm from a 02 gt that I will install and see what happens, but again thats if this doesnt stop when I do everything else and if my tune doesnt fix it, which still isnt on the car unfortunately, my tuner is heading back to me from sct tomorrow though, also installing my longtubes and x-pipe this wkend.
Any other input based on this new knowledge to save me from havin to mess with the fpdm or pcm?

Quick Reply: misfire, need assistance!!!