4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I blew my motor help me =(

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM
SteveMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default I blew my motor help me =(

Hey guys,

I torched all 8 stock pistons in my car with a bad tune, and im looking at getting forged flat top pistons running about 10.0:1 or 10.5:1, to replace my factory ones because they are cheaper anyways. The only thing i wanna change is the pistons and nothing else really and i wanna make sure forged pistons will work with the stock cam/stock everything and i wanna know if i can run it on 87 octane gas with the upped compression.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveMustangGT
Hey guys,

I torched all 8 stock pistons in my car with a bad tune, and im looking at getting forged flat top pistons running about 10.0:1 or 10.5:1, to replace my factory ones because they are cheaper anyways. The only thing i wanna change is the pistons and nothing else really and i wanna make sure forged pistons will work with the stock cam/stock everything and i wanna know if i can run it on 87 octane gas with the upped compression.
check your cylinder walls before you decide to just buy pistons, you may need to get the block bored. as for the compression bump to 10 or 10.5 you wont be able to run 87
Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM
SteveMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Would i have to run 91 octane with the upped compression? and wouldn't flat top pistons for my car fit if they are designed for my car?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

you should be able to get away with 91. you can up the compression all you want, but its only going to take you so far. Cams are basically the brain of you motor, with out upgrading cams you're only going to be able to flow so much. You should think about long term goals as well, if you want to do f/i later on down the road it will make it a little harder being that your compression is raised being that your ptv will be tighter. you can do flat tops, but i wouldnt recommend it.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
SteveMustangGT
1st Gear Member

What would you recommend i do as far as pistons go?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

lol basically you have to look at your budget, and think about long time goals with your motor(ex: turbo, supercharged, n/a build nitrous). i wouldnt recommend any part before one is positive on what one's motor will to become. its not something to just rush into and start buying parts. you need to think about the future young grasshopper.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM
onefast_03cobra
1st Gear Member

high compression = high octane
Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

How in the hell did you torch all 8 pistons on a car that only has some bolt ons? Who the hell did the tune, was it a tune for an 02 ls camaro that they installed?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
How in the hell did you torch all 8 pistons on a car that only has some bolt ons? Who the hell did the tune, was it a tune for an 02 ls camaro that they installed?
That's what I was thinking when I first read the op also.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

A tuned thats the leaned out with just bolt ons you would be hearing detonation pings at idle even.

Quick Reply: I blew my motor help me =(