4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

H-pipe Hell job

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

When I had my summit H fitment was perfect and no leaks, even when I installed and uninstalled the midpipe multiple times. That sucks yours is causing you problems I'm going this weekend to get the summit X pipe figured I'd change it up this summer.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Did you bolt it all up loosely then go back and tighten it up, little by little?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Yep very simple. Only hard part I had was re-centering the tips perfectly.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
rsh0763
1st Gear Member

Oh it is probably just fine. I'm sure the Summit product is dead-on-perfect everytime.

It is all on the skill level of the installer. I figured being 43, with 28 years of pretty deep experience including simple jobs like this numerous times, a Snap On rollaway with a collection of tools that took decades to accrue (and pay for) Time and patience would make this a walk in the park. Add in the 10+ years with A&P certification and shop experience with the largest Aerospace company in the US and I just assumed I qualified as a skilled mechanic. How wrong I was.

As a matter of fact, I might as well just forget it the whole thing... Went wrong with the MIL elims instead of a tuner (but hey, they seemed to work fine) Welded that joint that looked crooked when the rest of the assembly was fastened when I could have just used that SWEET clamp Summit provided. So yeah, nevermind the part, it is the wrencher to blame.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
rsh0763
1st Gear Member

I can tell you this much, after having the rear pipe and mufflers replaced and talking with my exhaust guy, I am positive that there are many others that have experienced trouble with this part from Summit. Without me even mentioning it, he noticed the area where the joint meets, showed me that in order to get it lined up perfectly with a clamp that the part will be under pre-load. Each side meets sort of like a "V". While he explained there has been no problem getting the mainfold sides to line up, that he has seen huge leaks on the tail pipes that are all a result of the joint location. The other problem he has seen is the o2 sensor ports being tapped improperly/crooked in relation to the pipe. Something to look for. As long as the threads are followed and not the expected angle everything will be fine. I love Summit stuff, they have saved me a ton of money over MANY years, but this is just one of those times when it went bad for me. No biggy, I will still buy their stuff. Happens with all things.

It is no matter now anyways, that pipe is perfect in my car, passes emissions with MIL elims and sounds like a V-8 should.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

Any part from any manufacture can cause problems. My mac off road H didn't seal very well on the driverside manifold. I took it to and exhaust shop and had that end flared a little more. Now it works good.

When ever taking out manifold bolts, studs or nuts it is a very good idea to heat them up with a torch(glowing Red).

Here is a link if you want to build your own mil. This is what I did and never threw a check engine light.
http://www.paladinmicro.com/MustangMILEliminator.htm
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

When using stock manifolds I have always had good luck with the UPR mid pipes, and there cheap.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

OP I see you work for Boeing. Where do you live? I too am in western WA.

Don't mind these guys.

At any rate, hind sight is 20/20 right? Next time you'll get a reputable brand.

Last edited by Moonshine; 04-06-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I know Im all late and wrong here, but dimebag has a summit x and it fits like crap. The driver side flange wa flared too big for the stock manifold and was just a PIA to install. But being the "G" that I am, we got it to work haha
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
rsh0763
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
OP I see you work for Boeing. Where do you live? I too am in western WA.

Don't mind these guys.

At any rate, hind sight is 20/20 right? Next time you'll get a reputable brand.

I live in Auburn, towards Lake Tapps. I don't mind these guys, it is just a forum. Different strokes you know?

Been working for Boeing since 1989, started when I was 21.

You?

Quick Reply: H-pipe Hell job