4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Default Headers...

So, a short while ago I decided that I was no longer going to purchase power performance upgrades for my car and instead focus on harnessing the power that I currently have and creating an uncatchable street maching. Suspension.

Well, I had just had a thought that I should finish off this bolt on Cobra. I mean, I've got pretty much everything for it save for headers. I figure the headers would definitely have me crest the 300hp mark. I have yet to have my car on a dyno since I have owned it. So, I want to slap some headers on and really call it a 'bolt on Cobra'.

That being said, I want to ask the forum's expert advice on headers. Longtube headers. Yea, I know my clearance will suffer, but I don't care. I've been looking at both end of the spectrum. BBK and Kooks. BBK are about 500 for some plated chromies. Kooks are capping $1k.

I don't want to spend $1k, but I want $1k quality.

My first reaction is to purchase the BBK headers. I had a pair of shorties for my old fox, and they were great. Cheap and easy. I had to grind off the weld spatter and straighten the flange...but that was my fox. This is my Cobra...and I feel it deserves something of more quality.

What I'm asking for is advice when it comes to brands. I want to know if there are some people here who have done full length headers on their SN95's. What kind of fitment issues have you had from said brand.

My knee jerk reaction is to just purchase the chrome'd BBK's and wrap them in tape.

What do you gays think?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

My BBK LTs didn't have any fitment issues.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM
madmike90
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine

What do you gays think?
lmao.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
My BBK LTs didn't have any fitment issues.
Did you purchase chrome or ceramic?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

So, a short while ago I decided that I was no longer going to purchase power performance upgrades for my car and instead focus on harnessing the power that I currently have and creating an uncatchable street maching. Suspension.

Well, I had just had a thought that I should finish off this bolt on Cobra. I mean, I've got pretty much everything for it save for headers. I figure the headers would definitely have me crest the 300hp mark. I have yet to have my car on a dyno since I have owned it. So, I want to slap some headers on and really call it a 'bolt on Cobra'.

That being said, I want to ask the forum's expert advice on headers. Longtube headers. Yea, I know my clearance will suffer, but I don't care. I've been looking at both end of the spectrum. BBK and Kooks. BBK are about 500 for some plated chromies. Kooks are capping $1k.

I don't want to spend $1k, but I want $1k quality.

My first reaction is to purchase the BBK headers. I had a pair of shorties for my old fox, and they were great. Cheap and easy. I had to grind off the weld spatter and straighten the flange...but that was my fox. This is my Cobra...and I feel it deserves something of more quality.

What I'm asking for is advice when it comes to brands. I want to know if there are some people here who have done full length headers on their SN95's. What kind of fitment issues have you had from said brand.

My knee jerk reaction is to just purchase the chrome'd BBK's and wrap them in tape.

What do you gays think?
Daddy always told me you cant have champagne taste with beer money.

And......I see wut u did there.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Did you purchase chrome or ceramic?
Chrome
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

There are some good brands out there that are maybe as good as Kooks but with a much lower price I believe.

On the other hand, what's really wrong with BBK. The pipes are all mandrel bent. The welds may be pretty haggard, but I can always fix that. If the flange is warped, I can also fix that.

Anyone done before and after dyno tests with longtubes?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Chrome
So was your weld spatter as bad as mine? Did you even do any handy work to them before you installed them?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:35 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

So was your weld spatter as bad as mine? Did you even do any handy work to them before you installed them?
Nope just slapped em on
Old 03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Do you know how much they benefitted you power wise?

Quick Reply: Headers...