4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Just A Couple Simple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Default Just A Couple Simple Questions

Hey guys just got a couple questions for y'all and didn't want to make two separate threads for them.

1. I've been looking around at oils and reading different older threads on the same topic, so I know you guys are probably getting tired of this question; just wanted to get y'alls newest/most up-to-date thoughts and opinions. But, what oil do you guys recommend using? I currently use Valvoline Synthetic and the K&N oil filter, but I'm just not sure if what I'm using is any good. From what I've read it has mostly been all hail Royal Purple. I'm really just not willing to pay that much for oil. However, I have also heard good things on Amsoil, and I found this: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlm.aspx

Would this be any good? And could I really go 10,000 miles between oil changes? How about with a K&N oil filter?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. I have all these hairline scratches on my rear window where to previous owner before me had all her "Jesus Is My Co-Pilot" and whatnot stickers all over it. I guess they are from the Ford dealership where I bought it got them all off. They don't seem to be very deep as when I rub my fingernail across them it doesn't get hung up on the scratch. What would I use to get all these off? They are very annoying to look at, especially in certain angles of sunlight when I look through my rear-view mirror.

Thanks in advance guys for any help y'all can give!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
Hey guys just got a couple questions for y'all and didn't want to make two separate threads for them.

1. I've been looking around at oils and reading different older threads on the same topic, so I know you guys are probably getting tired of this question; just wanted to get y'alls newest/most up-to-date thoughts and opinions. But, what oil do you guys recommend using? I currently use Valvoline Synthetic and the K&N oil filter, but I'm just not sure if what I'm using is any good. From what I've read it has mostly been all hail Royal Purple. I'm really just not willing to pay that much for oil. However, I have also heard good things on Amsoil, and I found this: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlm.aspx

Would this be any good? And could I really go 10,000 miles between oil changes? How about with a K&N oil filter?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. I have all these hairline scratches on my rear window where to previous owner before me had all her "Jesus Is My Co-Pilot" and whatnot stickers all over it. I guess they are from the Ford dealership where I bought it got them all off. They don't seem to be very deep as when I rub my fingernail across them it doesn't get hung up on the scratch. What would I use to get all these off? They are very annoying to look at, especially in certain angles of sunlight when I look through my rear-view mirror.

Thanks in advance guys for any help y'all can give!
oil is oil bro, synthetic change it at 5k regular dino oil 3,000.

I use regular dino oil and a motocraft filter (they sell em at walmart), My standard oil change costs me about $26 between the 5 quart jug, the single quart and the filter.

Someone, hoss maybe? studied this in a class and saw that even most dino oils don't breakdown untill over 5,000 miles, so for me regular oil and a 3,000 change is fine... not gonna hurt anything and you're not gonna gain any power from oilchanges, please no one come in with a dyno showing a 3rhwp increase from royal purple lols.

As for your window... no idea, windex? lol, perhaps a kind of rough sponge maybe?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
oil is oil bro, synthetic change it at 5k regular dino oil 3,000.

I use regular dino oil and a motocraft filter (they sell em at walmart), My standard oil change costs me about $26 between the 5 quart jug, the single quart and the filter.

Someone, hoss maybe? studied this in a class and saw that even most dino oils don't breakdown untill over 5,000 miles, so for me regular oil and a 3,000 change is fine... not gonna hurt anything and you're not gonna gain any power from oilchanges, please no one come in with a dyno showing a 3rhwp increase from royal purple lols.

As for your window... no idea, windex? lol, perhaps a kind of rough sponge maybe?
That's what I wanted to hear. I'm tired of paying so much for oil lol. Thank you.

And I've tried Windex, Zep, and some other cleaner. As well as, toothpaste to try and get them out. I was hoping there was something made for this type of thing like a PlastX type of product, except for glass.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

possibly but i have no idea lol, maybe try the detailing section?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

As far as the oil goes i just run fully synthetic Mobile 1. It's everywhere, and can usually be had for pretty darn cheap.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

All pretty much comes down to preference. I prefer to waste my $$ on RP and a motorcraft filter. My oil comes out clean as new at 5k oil changes. I intend to keep it that way.

Just my stinky worthless opinion.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

You really don't need to spend that much on Royal Purple, Amsoil or Mobil 1 for the high end stuff unless you are seriously racing your car IMO. Just a good synthetic oil will work just fine. I think I used Motorcraft in my old GT and never had any problems out of it for the 40,000 miles I put on the car.

I use Amsoil in the vette, but the only time the car is out... is on the track with me pushing it 100%.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I think they sell window scratch kits at an Autoparts store. Maybe even consider that kit used to restore headlights? I have never done this just assuming it would work
Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Alright thanks guys! I think I'm gonna start using the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend but continue to use the K&N oil filter.

Also I asked about trying the headlight restorer kit and the guy at Auto Zone didn't think it would work, but idk I might try it anyway
Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

if anything cheaper oil and get the motorcraft filter imo lol.

Quick Reply: Just A Couple Simple Questions