4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Went to the dyno today...fuel issue FML. need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
wow cliffy the amount of stuff you know is amazing. What do you do for a living? Have you ever worked at a performance shop tuning cars? haha
I am a semi-retired mechanical engineer (BSME, MIT '71) that has done a little bit of everything since then. I got involved with micro-computers in the mid-70s and have built. programmed, and used them ever since.

I have a small machine shop (mini-lathe and mill) to make one-off custom parts, and an electronics lab (I buy up, repair, and resell test equipment). I hope these will let me earn some play money when I get fully retired in just a bit less than 5 years.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I am a semi-retired mechanical engineer (BSME, MIT '71) that has done a little bit of everything since then. I got involved with micro-computers in the mid-70s and have built. programmed, and used them ever since.

I have a small machine shop (mini-lathe and mill) to make one-off custom parts, and an electronics lab (I buy up, repair, and resell test equipment). I hope these will let me earn some play money when I get fully retired in just a bit less than 5 years.
You were a mechanical engineer? Thats what i am currently majoring in at Penn State. How did you like it as a career?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Are you still running the stock returnless fuel system? If so then 30psi at idle is normal

Monitoring the rail pressure under load at the higher revs will tell you a lot--if the pumps and BAP can't supply enough fuel the pressure will drop as the mix goes lean.

MAFs are not really calibrated to any specific injector capacity, but rather to a specific injector and tune, usually a stock tune, its a kludge left over from the days when tunes could not be changed.

However since you have the transfer function (entered into the tune I assume) that doesn't matter.

I don't know what "opened the injectors to full" means, do you mean that he played with the low and high injector slope scalar values? Making them smaller will richen the mix, as the PCM's thinking they are smaller than they really are will cause it to calculate a longer pulse width to get the amount of fuel it wants--which will be more than it wants as the injectors are really larger than it believes.

One other possibility is that the stock PCM can only read airflow values of less than 1740kg/h (3830lb/h) unless the standard air charge, MAF transfer, and injector slopes are scaled.

This is around 560fwHP, 475 or so at the wheels--you may have hit that limit?

Can you post or send me the MAF sheet?
Cliffy - you are amazing. I have same PRO-M meter calibrated to my 60 injectors and with my Delta Force tune from my dyno shop my car maxed out at 470 rwhp at 6100 rpms. My tuner did not change injector slopes, he does NOT have sniper experience you have.

I would love for you to look at my tune. Keith from Plymouth MASS.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
Cliffy - you are amazing. I have same PRO-M meter calibrated to my 60 injectors and with my Delta Force tune from my dyno shop my car maxed out at 470 rwhp at 6100 rpms. My tuner did not change injector slopes, he does NOT have sniper experience you have.

Small world--I was born in Plymouth, and was Vice President of Finance & Administration at the "Plantation" from 1985 to 1993. Before that I was Plant Engineer for New England Ropes in New Bedford (they have since moved to Fall River).

In 1992 we brought Mayflower down here to Saint Augustine, I liked it and ended up moving here in August of 1993. I miss crisp clean air (though we are on the Intracoastal Waterway so that helps), real seasons (we only have 2-1/2)--however I do not miss scraping and shoveling one damned bit.

Send me a PM and I will give you my email address.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You were a mechanical engineer? Thats what i am currently majoring in at Penn State. How did you like it as a career?
Hey, watch that "were a mechanical engineer" crap! Still am...

Just out of school I worked as Plant Engineer for a couple of textile companies in Maine, and then for 18 years for a rope making company. Loved it, that's why I have had had to have my own lathe and mill ever since.

Engineering is a discipline, a way of logically meeting challenges, best defined as:

"Making what you need, from what you can get."

Also, an engineer does not consider a partially filled glass as half-full or half-empty--it is simply larger than it needs to be...
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Hey, watch that "were a mechanical engineer" crap! Still am...

Just out of school I worked as Plant Engineer for a couple of textile companies in Maine, and then for 18 years for a rope making company. Loved it, that's why I have had had to have my own lathe and mill ever since.

Engineering is a discipline, a way of logically meeting challenges, best defined as:

"Making what you need, from what you can get."

Also, an engineer does not consider a partially filled glass as half-full or half-empty--it is simply larger than it needs to be...
Didnt mean to offend you man haha. But i am going over CAD drawings, as well as hand drawing now. I am getting more into design next semester. I was told next semester we get to design our own cam and actually get to have it ground out so we can keep it. Should be a really fun project.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Didnt mean to offend you man haha. But i am going over CAD drawings, as well as hand drawing now. I am getting more into design next semester. I was told next semester we get to design our own cam and actually get to have it ground out so we can keep it. Should be a really fun project.
Sounds like a fun project! I suppose you are using AutoCAD?

Due to budgetary constraints I use TurboCAD...
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle

Your draw thru.... Im blow thru I should get more than that outta the meter but im just not even getting that high yet
Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

ANd if I ask him for the tune file he should just be able to put it on an SD card right?

Wat r u thinking it is? Do u think its in the tune or my fuel system?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Blk003GT
ANd if I ask him for the tune file he should just be able to put it on an SD card right?
Yes, the file will be on his PC, he just needs to copy it to a jump drive or whatever--it's only 224kB.

[/quote]Wat r u thinking it is? Do u think its in the tune or my fuel system?[/QUOTE]

Need those fuel rail numbers, or data logged fuel pressures, to tell...

Quick Reply: Went to the dyno today...fuel issue FML. need assistance