4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Boys, let's talk tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Default Boys, let's talk tires

I'm about to pull the trigger on some 10.5s out back and I want to throw a 315 tire on them. What tires are you guys currently running? I was thinking NT01s but I'm really unsure. KDW2s are what I will run up front but I don't think they make them in 315/35/17. Any help is appreciated!

Rob
Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I read the title really fast and thought it said Boys, let's talk *******. I'm disappointed after reading it again lol.

KDW2's all teh way.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I looked on discount for the KDW2's and I don't think they make them for that size of a tire.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of tires today and I'm getting 555's. MAYBE 555R's for the rear. Probably just the 555's all the way around though. With the AM discount the total was about $670 for the 555's. Cheaper with the 555r's.

Does it rain where you are? If so...say no to the NT01's. They're to patchy. ****ty rain traction.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

dont waste your time with street tires... I bought nt05s for the rear and hate them lol... moving them up front since they are 275 and going with 315 MT et streets out back 200 a piece....

Dont be afraid of the rain. I have been in several 500hp plus vehicles in the rain and you just need to be cautious.. drive like your in the snow, start trying to expect when the tires will kick out... On all the other days where rain isnt a issue.. Hit it and enjoy the traction.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
I read the title really fast and thought it said Boys, let's talk *******. I'm disappointed after reading it again lol.

KDW2's all teh way.
hey, I'm not opposed. lol

I should change the topic name to **** and tires. What more could a man ask for?

Originally Posted by Moonshine
I looked on discount for the KDW2's and I don't think they make them for that size of a tire.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of tires today and I'm getting 555's. MAYBE 555R's for the rear. Probably just the 555's all the way around though. With the AM discount the total was about $670 for the 555's. Cheaper with the 555r's.

Does it rain where you are? If so...say no to the NT01's. They're to patchy. ****ty rain traction.
I have a DD so weather is not a factor. I want something that will hook but won't suck when I turn the steering wheel.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by demighost
dont waste your time with street tires... I bought nt05s for the rear and hate them lol... moving them up front since they are 275 and going with 315 MT et streets out back 200 a piece....

Dont be afraid of the rain. I have been in several 500hp plus vehicles in the rain and you just need to be cautious.. drive like your in the snow, start trying to expect when the tires will kick out... On all the other days where rain isnt a issue.. Hit it and enjoy the traction.
Don't the ET streets have a soft sidewall that makes spirited turns suck? I really don't want to lose any corning ability.

Moon: not sure I would go with the 555rs. I've heard enough complaints about them to avoid them.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by demighost

Do you know what you're talking about?

Sticky tires shrivel and harden like your ******** when spashed with ice water when it's cold and wet outside. Try to stop when the guy in front of you slams on his brakes. You'll be paying for his next car.

OP, so you want something that doesn't have a SUPER soft sidewall. How often are you going to utilize the drag launch capabilities of the tire? I've heard great things about all of the Nitto DR's. 555r's being the BEST all around tire for DD, corners, and launching. Of course the NT series is going to be a more aggressive launch tire meaning softer sidewall resulting in a squishy feel in spirited cornering applications.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
Don't the ET streets have a soft sidewall that makes spirited turns suck? I really don't want to lose any corning ability.

Moon: not sure I would go with the 555rs. I've heard enough complaints about them to avoid them.
Funny, I've heard nothing but great things. If you're looking for a super sticky launch tire, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a awesome cornering tire, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a good all around tire for under $200 you'll be happy. I just bought a pair, so I'll be able to tell you first hand soon.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Nt01's would work well for you. My friend's 03 cobra has decent traction with nt05's and he is an upper only car. Also look into the toyo r888's or some of the other competition inspired radial street tires like kuhmo victoracers or the like.

Good luck my friend! Tire choosing sucks. Lol
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
"... I have a DD so weather is not a factor. I want something that will hook but won't suck when I turn the steering wheel.
This is NOT an easy one

How much do you want to accel at BOTH of these?

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Boys, let's talk tires