4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

CC Plates?? brand and can i do it myself adj..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 AM
03SonicBlue_GT
2nd Gear Member

Default CC Plates?? brand and can i do it myself adj..

so had my car at the shop up on the lift getting my new exhaust put on which i absolutly love with the stock mid. but anyways i noticed my front tires were starting to wear on the insides because of my new springs. so i am going to buy cc plates dont know which ones to buy prolly just the mmsports ones. but can i adjust the toe in and fix my alignment problem myself it drive straight and no wobbles just this toe problem. i took it to a shop right after i installed the springs and they didnt wanna do it because i needed a new inner tie rod. ok fine asked them how much and they said $320 and i said forget about it because the part was 15 and i could do it in less than an hr with my inner tie rod tool from otc.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 PM
sonicx
speed'n

if you can change an inner tie rod then you certainly have the ability to align yourself. The cc plates make it super easy todo yourself. I'd try it yourself and then go into a local shop (for me it was tires plus) for a free alignment check and print out once you think you got it. They'll let you know where its off (if any) and then if so go back and dial it in. No need to spend 50 bucks or whatever for a 15 minute alignment job.

Edit: after i lowered my car (put in springs) I aligned it myself and then took it to TIRES PLUS. They checked it & asked why i though something was off? I took em i just put in lowering springs. Well they told me i did heck of a job because (even gave me the print-out). Everything was w/in the right spec.

Last edited by sonicx; 05-01-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

You can do the plates yourself, but I would take it to the shop for the alignment. Tires are much more expensive than the alignment and if it's not right it may cost you more in the long run.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I have the MM CC Plates. Install was easy but I had a shop do my alignment.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You can adjust the stock tie rods yourself to correct the toe problem. Buy some new CC plates and take your car to a shop for an alignment. They can adjust the stock tie rod ends. Don't let them tell you you need new ones. It's not a bad idea but not needed.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

Unless the tie rod is totally screwed and bent you don't need to do it right away, but you may wanna replace it when you get a chance. As for doing the alignment yourself, you can give it a shot but like sonicx said I'd at least take it to a tire shop and have them do a free check, you don't wanna wear your tires out prematurely in order to save a few bucks on the alignment
Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 PM
03SonicBlue_GT
2nd Gear Member

ya they said the inner tie rod had a little play in it. but it seems to me if i take it for an alignment all they will do is adjust is tie rods? the wouldnt even know how cc plates work.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by 03SonicBlue_GT
ya they said the inner tie rod had a little play in it. but it seems to me if i take it for an alignment all they will do is adjust is tie rods? the wouldnt even know how cc plates work.
If you have a bad inner tie rod thats probably what is causing your tire wear, fix the actually problem before throwing other parts in it. The shop is right theres no point in doing an alignment with a bad tie rod the tires are still gonna wear uneven. You may not even need CC plates either.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

Does the tie rod have some actual play in it or were they just saying it needs to be replaced cause its old? uberstang is right if the tie rod is loose, all the alignment in the world wouldn't help it if the tie rod itself won't hold the length you set it to