4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Next mod ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Default Next mod ???

I'm kind of a rookie at GT's so thought i could use help from some pros...
I bought an already moddified 01 GT and from what i know the car already had pulleys, BBK CAI, 2 1/2 inch piping, X-pipe, flowmaster 40's, short shifter, stage 2 clutch, and a throttle body. I was wondering about how many horses i might have and if you could help me choose my next upgrade. I wasn't sure whethere i should go with pypes long tubes or get dyno tuned or just a regular sct tuner from A.M.
Everyone says a dyno tune is better but how much of a difference is that and how many horses will i be pushing before and after???

I use my car for D.D but want to get enough power to smoke newer GT's, g35's, R/t's/SRT's, evo's...etc.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
sonicx
speed'n

I can tell you for sure w/ what you have after the tune w/o LT's: in the low 250's wrhp. As for what to do to beat new cars on the street: SUPERCHARGE.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Well right now id say like 240hp give or take.

As for next mods i would go w/ Long tubes and gears...THEN you can get a dyno tune (don't worry so much about numbers, dynos are just good for seeing gains and tuning).

Gears and LTs will give you a pretty quick GT. For the gears id go w/ 4.10s as well. You'll then want to look into some suspension because you need to get the power to the ground w/ those 4.10 gears. Some upper and lower control arms will help a lot.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

thank you. if i go with the long tubes which are the best long tubes i can get??? i heard pypes or bbk are the top ones?? and how much will my fuel efficiency be affected???
Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Well right now id say like 240hp give or take.

As for next mods i would go w/ Long tubes and gears...THEN you can get a dyno tune (don't worry so much about numbers, dynos are just good for seeing gains and tuning).

Gears and LTs will give you a pretty quick GT. For the gears id go w/ 4.10s as well. You'll then want to look into some suspension because you need to get the power to the ground w/ those 4.10 gears. Some upper and lower control arms will help a lot.
NO UCA's!! For a street & DD you don't want UCA! Go instead with a Panhard bar / Watts-Link. First, a solid UCA should never be put in to gain better handling of your ride! They are completely inflexable and greatly increase the suspension bind already inherant in the Mustang 4 link rear suspension. Cuz all it is is a solid arm and not even adjustable for pinion angle. I mean you could go with an adj 1 but not as a DD soley track only as it only addresses pinion angle. Im just sharing this from 2nd hand exp and from seeing it happen to friends, as well as other members posting up. Using adj UCA can allow undesired movement at extreme end of axle articulation which you don't want either. Just stick with LCA's. If your a serious racer or a seldom driver with your mustang, proceed. But agreed ^ 100%, you're gonna want LCA's there great
Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

what do you mean by UCA's?

and so you guys wouldn't reccomend a diablo or predator tuner???
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by dirtychamba
what do you mean by UCA's?

and so you guys wouldn't reccomend a diablo or predator tuner???
Upper control arms (UCA's) & lower control arms (LCA's). Diablo makes the predator.... their 1 in the same. As for rec. it? It depends where you live. In the cities its a good program to use because most of the dyno shops exclusively use diablo. So it depends on your location. For self use i find SCT easier to use. I had diablo but changed over to SCT because it has more features / ease of use. I don't have a need for a dyno shop tune so i passed.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I agree I've owned Diablo and SCT and SCT is the better application. The load times on Diablo are horrible to say the least. Takes forever to accomplish anything.

As stated to keep up with modern cars you're gonna need at least 340-360 bhp (as most new ones have over 400 however your car is lighter so you don't need quite as much to "hang") the only realistic way to get there is to super charge your car. On the down side while you can make similar numbers as newer cars your ride will be less reliable and will not get the same level of driveability and MPG as newer cars. In short our cars are just plain out dated.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Which lt's are the best to buy considering power, mpg, sound and daily driving. Right now i have 2.5 inch piping, bbk xpipe and flowmaster 40s.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

If money isn't an option then i'd consider some Kooks long tube headers. To be honest though i like Mac and BBK for the money.

Quick Reply: Next mod ???