4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

How can I increase horse power withouth super or turbo charging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

well you pretty much wasted your money lol.

The stock air intake in a mustang IS a cold air intake, and if you bought a metal one it probably gets heatsoaked and you probably slightly lose power over the stock cai. Chips have been outdated for years, handheld tuners are > chips.

From now on, it would probably be a good idea to run whatever your next purchase is going to be by the guys on the forum so you don't throw away $1200 for 5whp.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by odinsrage0900
I am from wayne county in michigan. I know I can get past 300 hp with bolt ons theres so many things you can change. Just some stuff I dont know about. A jet performance from what I am told increases a mustang 15-20 (thats what jet said), Air intake increases 10 and if I got cat back there would be another 10-15. Not even talking gears or sensors yet and I should be running 300. I do realize those estimates arent always right but I do know you can get well over 300 with bolt ons and tunes. I aint lookin to keep up with 5.0's just to ensure that other new cars coming out dont totally own my mustang. I dont know much about changing the gears could you go into depth on that and what it could give me possibly for hp?
Dude your not gonna touch 300rwhp with that.............sorry. Jet lied to you, an air intake won't even come close to touchin 10rwhp maybe 1rwp............ For your goals your looking at full bolt ons with long tubes and cams.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:03 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I'm not so sure the OP is trying to hit 300 "rwhp." The way he is talking makes it sound like he would like to add around 40 hp to the stock 260 fwhp. Is that correct OP??

Regardless of that, there is some good info here. Power alone doesn't determine how fast the car will be.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM
odinsrage0900

Yes that is right I am just looking to boost it a little. Everyone is right I am not saying anyone is wrong here. you guys have the experience thats why I am asking you. However my mustang has struggled with cars around 300hp, I had it checked all the parts are like new, runs perfect and tires are fairly new. Last car I raced was a super charged grand pri, he kept up with me the whole way. I figure if I ad another 40 hp the cars my mustang should beat will. Also I get things cheap I bought a brand new cold air intake for 90 bucks so why not buy it I dont think its that big of a deal. Also didnt buy a chip yet but everyone I talk to who works on stangs in general says that chip is a easy way to free up horsepower idk whos right on that one. I am very good at shifting as well it just needs a bit more power. Thanks for all the advice guys I do appreciate it. I may be willing to go up to 2000 but I figure with new and new cars coming out its just going to waste money. In 5 years this car probably wont keep up with any new car unless I supercharge it.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
odinsrage0900

Also you are right uberstang I misread what you said I thought you said hp in general I know it wont make rwhp. If other cars have like 300hp thats not at the wheels right? so if I increase even miner things to help maybe get it up to 250 then it should be fine right?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Yes that is right I am just looking to boost it a little. Everyone is right I am not saying anyone is wrong here. you guys have the experience thats why I am asking you. However my mustang has struggled with cars around 300hp, I had it checked all the parts are like new, runs perfect and tires are fairly new. Last car I raced was a super charged grand pri, he kept up with me the whole way. I figure if I ad another 40 hp the cars my mustang should beat will. Also I get things cheap I bought a brand new cold air intake for 90 bucks so why not buy it I dont think its that big of a deal. Also didnt buy a chip yet but everyone I talk to who works on stangs in general says that chip is a easy way to free up horsepower idk whos right on that one. I am very good at shifting as well it just needs a bit more power. Thanks for all the advice guys I do appreciate it. I may be willing to go up to 2000 but I figure with new and new cars coming out its just going to waste money. In 5 years this car probably wont keep up with any new car unless I supercharge it.
If your willing to spend 2 grand id look at the $1500 vortech build. it would put you at around 370rwhp+...or nitrous..a 100 shot and dyno tune would be great too
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

I may have missed it, but did anyone mention cams?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:08 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

i am.

chips were the thing to do 10 years ago, now handheld tuners are where its at.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 AM
odinsrage0900

Isnt a jet performance programmer a handheld tuner? Someone mention a chip and got me confused I was talking about the jet 15003 programmer, thought that was a handheld that gained horsepower. Vortech build are you meaning vortech supercharger? I looked into those but my mechanic installed those for roush he says I am askin for to much.

4 grand for a good sc, then you need to replace a few parts so the car will maximize the sc and be able to run with it on. then laber he was saying at the end of the day a supercharger would cost 7 grand. I just dont think its worth it. Thanks for the info guys I am going to write down every thing you guys said and show it to my mechanic to look at what the best options will be. I will deffinetly get back to you within a few weeks to let you know what I choose and how much it helped!

I do know one thing though my buddy has a 99 gt with some bolt on parts and his mustang runs right by my stang so I am sure my car can get alot faster if I follow the advice given!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

take a look at my numbers. i have full bolt ons WITH cams. tell me you'll get 300.

Quick Reply: How can I increase horse power withouth super or turbo charging?