4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

issues with my 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM
4.6Lpower

Default issues with my 4.6

About a week ago i washed my engine in a self service car wash and i used engine cleaner, this green soap looking thing an when i was finished my car felt like it was running like 50 horsepower and sounded like a harley bike! It would even turn off by itself. so it turned out i had issues with the cylinders misfiring alot..BUT how could it be due to cleaning my engine?? or coencidently this happened the minute i turned the car on after that engine clean. It feels like my car lost alot of horsepower and i can't peel on it or anything. so i decided to buy new sparkplugs and see if the issue would go away.so i tried to peel again (this is my way of telling whether the car is pulling all its power potential) well... it turns out that it didn't, my mechanics computer read that the car's 1st cyl is misfiring, all others are fine, so i thought i'd buy a new coil, i placed the new coil in and i tried to do that peel again, and it won't peel like it used to, i don't think my car is pushing all its power that it should and i have no options left other than my catalytic converters... could that be the issue? i run no cats on this car what so ever, but i never had issues with running no cats anyhow.
Thanks in Adv.

Last edited by 4.6Lpower; 06-23-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^ What mods do you have???
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Try switching your #1 injector with a diff one. If the code reads that the misfiring is on the cylinder you traded injectors with, its a dirty injector.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 PM
4.6Lpower

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
^^ What mods do you have???
hey soldier GT.. i do not have any mods on this other than flowmaster mufflers.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 PM
4.6Lpower

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Try switching your #1 injector with a diff one. If the code reads that the misfiring is on the cylinder you traded injectors with, its a dirty injector.
how? i ordered a brand new one
Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

You must keep your engine running when spraying it down with any sort of pressurized water. You probably got water in the coil.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
You must keep your engine running when spraying it down with any sort of pressurized water. You probably got water in the coil.
did you just say "keep your engine running when spraying it down with any sort of pressurized water."..? I HIGHLY do not recommend that method..
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SyNdicateZ
did you just say "keep your engine running when spraying it down with any sort of pressurized water."..? I HIGHLY do not recommend that method..
Believe it or not..That what dealerships do to wash engines.
Ive worked in detailing cars "I did buffing paint only" and saw it for my own eyes how they washed engines and it was done the way Moonshine stated.

IMO it very bad to wash "any" engines with water.
Simple Green and lots of rags and bushes works wonders

As for OP sounds like you may have burn\shorted out a coil from water
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Clean mine with a garden hose all the time. Engine cleaner on a cold motor for 15 minutes, then rinse. A few hours later, I spray tire shine on all the black parts, wait 15, then rinse.

7 years later and still going strong. Just don't wash a hot motor, regardless of water temp. Also, I agree that pressurized sprayers will force water where it should never go.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

id be scared of the air filter sukking in some water while the engine was running..

Quick Reply: issues with my 4.6