4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lost all backpressure and low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
Many folks never understand that low end torque is created through exhaust velocity. The high velocity gasses create momentum in the exaust that lets the flow actually create a draw on the exhaust port, evacuating the cylinders and during valve overlap, pulling the intake charge into the chamber. It's knd of a natural supercharging.

Now that you have big high flow pipes, you have to spin higher rpm to move enough volume of gasses to get back to that velocity level. This means the power band moves up the rpm range. Do you make more torque? Yes, but at at different rpm.

Too many people make changes like this, overshooting the usable range of their normal use and killing the daily performance. You may scream at the strip, but life sucks around town.
wrong

the reason hes most likely losing power is due to the resonance problem inherent with the SpinTechs (already stated)

if cars needed backpressure like you said, then top fuel dragsters would be running a full exhaust... which they obviously dont...

any car out there will not respond negatively to a DECREASE in BP but will suffer from an INCREASE...

NA cars will have a much less reduced increase from a reduction, FI cars LOVE taking all the BP away...

go drive a diesel truck with a stock exhaust and one with open pipes and see which one has more power...
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

I lost power by modding my car too. It sucks
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 AM
4.6Gtconv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
wrong

the reason hes most likely losing power is due to the resonance problem inherent with the SpinTechs (already stated)

if cars needed backpressure like you said, then top fuel dragsters would be running a full exhaust... which they obviously dont...

any car out there will not respond negatively to a DECREASE in BP but will suffer from an INCREASE...

NA cars will have a much less reduced increase from a reduction, FI cars LOVE taking all the BP away...

go drive a diesel truck with a stock exhaust and one with open pipes and see which one has more power...
So your saying put a different set of mufflers on ?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's another good read, it's a Headers 101 document from S&S who unfortunately are no longer in business. Some good "backpressure" and velocity info here as well...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

I'm not a stang expert like some ppl are but I don't think the argument of a top fuel dragster vs the exhaust on a street car is a valid point at all. They both have motors and wheels but it almost stops there. What scotty said seems to make a lot of sense though bc you lose down low but gain up top.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Rocky....I have no idea what you just said.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

All the original poster did was move the powerband.

A set of gears, 3.73 at the least will 'make up' for what you feel you lost down low.

Your car isn't making jack for hp/tq around 1500rpm anyway. Most likely what you are feeling is your butt dyno being confused by the increased vibration & noise. Quiet & smooth always 'feels' faster than loud & rough.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
wrong

word

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
should be following this advice lol

Originally Posted by Dan04COBRA
All the original poster did was move the powerband.

A set of gears, 3.73 at the least will 'make up' for what you feel you lost down low.

Your car isn't making jack for hp/tq around 1500rpm anyway. Most likely what you are feeling is your butt dyno being confused by the increased vibration & noise. Quiet & smooth always 'feels' faster than loud & rough.
This is true... i'll admit my car feels faster with my on road x pipe on than it does without the 4 cats when my o/r pipe is on.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

for those of you that seem to lose low end power because of going with off-road pipe you might want to get some gears to remedy the situation

Quick Reply: Lost all backpressure and low end torque