4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

He isnt getting flamed. However spending .023578 seconds and typing cold air intake in the search bar would bring him a lovely laundry list of hundreds of thousands of the same question/answers.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM
urisbigb

At first he did, I agree the seach button is a very useful tool, but I was more or less addressing his initial question. Us noobs to the forum need to stick together! haha
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Are you guys kidding me? /facepalm.

There is no arguement that a k&n filter and the like flow better than the stock filter. For the price of a drop in filter, you can usually spend a few extra bucks and get the aftermarket cold air.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 AM
kgmason

Thumbs up Tunable Induction '96-'04 GT CAI

More cool/dense air = More hp!

Stock cold air intake? Yes and good marketing, as it's butted up against the inner fender air hole drawing some outside air. But, limited in air flow & coolest air available compared to a 100mm, abs cellular core pipe, inner fender "down" CAI to MAF meter, and a higher flow after market filter.

Tunable Induction's '96-'04 GT meter forward & full CAI, 100mm cool abs, is a top seller for performance, looks, & value.

http://tunableinduction.com/2004_gt.htm

Dyno results from "independent" shops.

http://tunableinduction.com/dyno.htm

Facebook for customer install pics and comments (discussion)

Last edited by kgmason; 07-27-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
The thing is your "ugly stock tube" Is that ugly material for a reason. Metal doesn't stay cold very well in a hot engine bay.

COLD air intake + HOT METAL tube.... The cold air is losing its effect in keeping IATs down.

JLT makes some plasticish intakes that look good but lets be honest an exterior visual mod is gonna go further than one in the engine bay.
We discussed this on a Dakota forum I used to be a member of. The general consensus was that cool air was moving through the tube at such a high rate that it didn't have much time to heat up. Air is, after all, a really good insulator. Even if the tube is completely heat soaked, I can't imagine the air would heat up more than a few degrees.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urisbigb
Wow, you guys are brutal, haha

He asked a simple questions and gets flammed. Matt, to answer your question, I was "ignorant" enough to buy one from AM, and to be honest I want to return it, but apparently AM doesn't have very good customer service either, which is bothersome to me. But my biggest complaint was that since I have a 2000 GT, it still has a Temperature sensor for which the CAI has a grommet that is about 1/8" too small to accomodate it, so mine is barely in. With you having a 2002, you won't have that problem, so this kit would be pretty good for you, and to pay a fraction of the price of what other intakes are, I think it's still worth it for you.

But even if it DOESN'T give me any extra power or anything, I do like the way that it has enhanced the sound of the engine. Granted I still have a stock exhaust and prolly wouldn't hear it if I didn't, but I say, do what you want to do. It does clean up the look of the engine bay a little and improves the engine tone.
No one was flaming anyone... i just told him the truth, it'd be a waste of money.

Would you rather someone tell you the truth or tell you you would get 10hp and 3miles per gallon, spend your money then be pissed when it didn't do anything?

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
He isnt getting flamed. However spending .023578 seconds and typing cold air intake in the search bar would bring him a lovely laundry list of hundreds of thousands of the same question/answers.
this also

Originally Posted by kgmason
More cool/dense air = More hp!

Stock cold air intake? Yes and good marketing, as it's butted up against the inner fender air hole drawing some outside air. But, limited in air flow & coolest air available compared to a 100mm, abs cellular core pipe, inner fender "down" CAI to MAF meter, and a higher flow after market filter.

Tunable Induction's '96-'04 GT meter forward & full CAI, 100mm cool abs, is a top seller for performance, looks, & value.

http://tunableinduction.com/2004_gt.htm

Dyno results from "independent" shops.

http://tunableinduction.com/dyno.htm

Facebook for customer install pics and comments (discussion)
show me dyno sheets, unfabricated dyno sheets.

Originally Posted by jrp1588
We discussed this on a Dakota forum I used to be a member of. The general consensus was that cool air was moving through the tube at such a high rate that it didn't have much time to heat up. Air is, after all, a really good insulator. Even if the tube is completely heat soaked, I can't imagine the air would heat up more than a few degrees.

Why not? it's a very enclosed space and temps are getting very hot under the hood.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Because the air is moving trough at such a huge volume that it cannot be heated up significantly in that short amount of contact time. How long do you think the air molecules actually spend in the tube? I'd wager less than a second.

While under hood temps are hot, I don't think they are hot enough to significantly heat that volume of air over that short of a time.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrp1588
Because the air is moving trough at such a huge volume that it cannot be heated up significantly in that short amount of contact time. How long do you think the air molecules actually spend in the tube? I'd wager less than a second.

While under hood temps are hot, I don't think they are hot enough to significantly heat that volume of air over that short of a time.
The air molecules continuously rebound off the walls of their container with elastic collisions.

When container walls are closed, the walls of the container end after the collisions with higher than previous speeds, and the gas molecules end with slower than previous speeds. The process of transferring heat to the colder walls of the container applies a force to the air molecules and robs them of their energy. I am sure you can reverse these descriptions for what occurs when the container walls are heated.

Its physics bro.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

I have no doubt it will heat the air to a degree, but to what degree? My point is that with the volume and velocity of airflow, I don't see how it could be more than a few degrees.

That being said, I don't like chrome, and would actually prefer a plastic tube, I'd just like one that doesn't scream "OEM" when I look at it.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 AM
jimj3125
1st Gear Member

Maybe I missed something. In that my air filter box does say "cold air intake". Would it be worth my time and money to replace the stock filter with k&n replacement filter?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake