4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

all black and grey theme

Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Do it, I don't care what anyone says. Everyone including myself were saying bad things before Rich (HPnipplebiter) painted his. I LOVED his wheels in person.

In my personal opinion, I would paint them to match your stripe on the hood. If everything matches, it will look badass.

I think matte black would be best.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:20 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

So, in your opinion you think HP's rims looked even more bada$$ in person than they do in the pics? See it seems like a lot of people are saying things like it will blend into the tires too much, or it will look cheap, etc...etc... Did you feel like that looking at HP's car, or did the sheer coolness of it basically outweigh everything else?

I agree about the matte black, or something fairly close to it. To redo my spoiler, fuel door, and other glossy black accents to a more non glossy type would still be really cheap overall.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:51 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Had absolutely positively ZERO percent "cheap sh;t" look to it.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

MRT, I dont think it would look bad, but I don't think it'd really add a whole lot. Personally, if you're going all black, I wouldnt use bullitts. Something you could look into doing is painting your calipers maybe a "matte-ish" silver to add some definitition without "blingin it up", but it would help keep the wheel from blending with the tire at a distance.. or in pictures. What about a satin black vs a matte/flat? Just my .02 maybe some food for thought.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
MRT, I dont think it would look bad, but I don't think it'd really add a whole lot. Personally, if you're going all black, I wouldnt use bullitts. Something you could look into doing is painting your calipers maybe a "matte-ish" silver to add some definitition without "blingin it up", but it would help keep the wheel from blending with the tire at a distance.. or in pictures. What about a satin black vs a matte/flat? Just my .02 maybe some food for thought.
Actually, i've already painted the calipers black. I agree that other rims might look a little better than the bullitts in all black, but since i already have them (and like them) why not give it a shot. I've always liked the all black type wheels on a Mustang when it's done right, and with the right setup.

When you say satin vs matte/flat, what exactly are you referring to?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

you had stated redoing everything that was a gloss black now in a flat black, I'd just be worried that after a while, it may look i dont know how to explain it but "dingie/dirty haze almost"? Around me people that do flat black it looks good when its fresh, but 6 months down the road, it just doesnt seem to clean up as well. BUT I'm in AZ, and the sun is pretty brutal. My uncle has done some satin things on a few of his rides and it looks really good, gives that aggressive nature, and it just seems to clean up better later down the road. But than again anything flat black i've seen isnt a smooth surface whereas satin will be. Just something I've observed from local shows, and things. Hate to see you kickin yourself in 6 months because it just isnt what you thought it would be... if your catching what I'm saying?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
you had stated redoing everything that was a gloss black now in a flat black, I'd just be worried that after a while, it may look i dont know how to explain it but "dingie/dirty haze almost"? Around me people that do flat black it looks good when its fresh, but 6 months down the road, it just doesnt seem to clean up as well. BUT I'm in AZ, and the sun is pretty brutal. My uncle has done some satin things on a few of his rides and it looks really good, gives that aggressive nature, and it just seems to clean up better later down the road. But than again anything flat black i've seen isnt a smooth surface whereas satin will be. Just something I've observed from local shows, and things. Hate to see you kickin yourself in 6 months because it just isnt what you thought it would be... if your catching what I'm saying?
Thanks, that's really good info! I would've never had know that, but i think i do get what your saying.

You're saying a matte/satin type black will clean up more like gloss black (obviously without the same shine) but will have that more aggressive look like a flat black.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Yea, exactly, I think the satin will be look much cleaner, and better in the future (6 months to a year down the road.) because the surface finish will be smoother, and just clean off like a gloss, yet have that aggressive nature of the flat black without that hassle.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:11 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

There is nothing better than looking at an all black deep dish... It looks so menacing it's not even funny.

And sometimes i even leave my wheels dirty for a little bc it gives them that "matte" black look which i originally wanted to have them painted. But in the end i decided to go with the gloss black bc it looks a little bit more clean and matte MIGHT'VE blended in with the tire too much.

I don't have any regrets whatsoever to painting my wheels. Changed the whole look completely. My car looked OKAY with the regular black bullitts/machined lip, but now it just looks MEAN. I get so many compliments and looks at my car...

My wheels do not in any way, shape, or form blend in with my tires. I was worried about that happening as well, but i went with gloss black for that reason. I was afraid of the matte. I bet matte would have looked 10x better and i'm still curious about how matte would look on my car.

Your car reminds me exactly of mine. It's a nice looking car, but you want that something extra... Make those wheels black and it's going to look like a whole new car.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Told ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod do ittttttttttt kthxbai

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: all black and grey theme