4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Lowering Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Just switched from eibach pro-kit to H&R SS springs, and Strange Engineering front adjustable struts with QA1 rear adjustable shocks. I really like the way the car handles now.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

You could run stock struts with the coilovers.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
Thanks Scooter, what shocks/struts did you go with?

So I've been doing some window shopping at MM's site, and saw the price for a front conversion is only $373. Until I noticed it doesn't include the shocks/struts.. only the springs. So altogether I'm probably looking at $1200 in parts alone? Because of the price I'm considering adjustable shocks/struts again. Does having adjustable shocks help at all with stiff PR springs?
If you get good quality adjustables, they will be a nice addition. I'd say if youre looking at adjustables, look in the direction of tokico d-specs or koni yellows. Really, the adjustability is for dialing in the suspension setups. Typically for racing usually. But I can see why you would want the adjustable nature to get the ride you want. Usually you set them and forget them so you do not mess up your setup.

BTW, MM has a full coilover conversion kit for sale. Its like $1600 but it comes with everything you need to make your car ride on coilovers, including dampers and such.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Easy mistake...just seems awful coincidental that you seem to be usings the same sales techniques in two different threads about the same topic is all! I'm in retail sales as profession. My dad has been in retail sales as long as I can remember. I know a sales pitch when I see one.

Btw, h&r springs do much better and you should consider them to make your sprints instead of eibach. Just some food for thought! Eibachs have sagged, screwed up $300/piece drag radials, and rode harsh as hell. Just saying from first hand!
Funny thing is I have considered hr springs before lol. I put them on my 2000 mustang 2 years ago but removed them because of the harsh ride. So the springs have been sitting on my bedroom floor since then and I've been decided whether to put them on the new 01. Now what I believe was the original problem was the shocks I used (tokico HP series, non adjustable). So this time I'm gonna go with the tokico d-spec's. Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Funny thing is I have considered hr springs before lol. I put them on my 2000 mustang 2 years ago but removed them because of the harsh ride. So the springs have been sitting on my bedroom floor since then and I've been decided whether to put them on the new 01. Now what I believe was the original problem was the shocks I used (tokico HP series, non adjustable). So this time I'm gonna go with the tokico d-spec's. Thanks again!
Sorry for the grammar I'm typing this off my phone and distracted lol. But yes I am reusing my HR super sport springs. Will definitely have some pics up of the new car soon.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I have d-specs and have had a very good experience with them. Highly recommend them. I know a lot of people prefer bilsteins, might give them a look too.

FYI, Teej can sell you the shirt off your back.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I have d-specs and have had a very good experience with them. Highly recommend them. I know a lot of people prefer bilsteins, might give them a look too.

FYI, Teej can sell you the shirt off your back.
Haha thanks Cal. Btw how long can I expect those d specs to last? Can't remember who it was but someone in the forums was telling me that tokicos will last a year or two then you have to replace them, I didn't want to believe him but after my tokico hp's started giving out I was speculative.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 AM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

I've had my d-specs for almost 3 years now. I put about 20k on the car with them, no signs of wear to report.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:31 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I've had my d-specs for almost 3 years now. I put about 20k on the car with them, no signs of wear to report.
Thanks Cal that's all the testimony I need! Btw when I had my car on a lift before, the HR springs were stacked together without coming apart. Is it supposed to be like that? I thought there was supposed to be some space between the coils.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Cal that's all the testimony I need! Btw when I had my car on a lift before, the HR springs were stacked together without coming apart. Is it supposed to be like that? I thought there was supposed to be some space between the coils.
And this is with the wheels off the ground btw without any weight on the springs

Quick Reply: Lowering Advice?