4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Modify My 04 Stang

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:03 AM
Shellygirl722

Cool Modify My 04 Stang

I just purchased a 04 Mustang GT MACH1 4.6lt and I noticed that car owner b4 me had done some modify... I want to do more.. If anyone has any great Idea's all will be looked at n make this car a beast (its all ready beastly.. I just want a few more... Were changing spark plus and all coils to high performance... this car has 40,000 miles. @ days after paying cash Coded poped up.. PO300, PO304, PO307, PO317.. suggesting piston # 4 & #7 are miss fired, 300 code is a random misfire, due to 4 &7. So were replacing all coils n spark plugs with high performance, my QQ.... Is this safe for engine? hubby n I are 38 and we don't hot rod the car, also wanting to get better MPG.. any suggestions will be great full.. Make my Girl(Stang) mean n extreme!!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the Mach 1

If your hubby is fimilar with working on cars.
To see if your COPS are a issue you can clear computer with code easer.
Swap the 4 and 7 coils to lets say 5 and 8 and see if codes P0305 and P0308 appear then you know for sure the coils are bad.

I did this task on my GT to find a bad coil.

GL hope issue gets fixed.
PS... did you get any type of warranty with this car?
I would tell the person that you bought it from of the issue.
Here in MA. that car would not pass emmissions test so person would have to fix it you bought it from.
Not sure of the laws in AR.

Also you can try posting over in the Mach 1 section of forum they maybe able to help more.
My guess is either bad plugs or COP or COPS (Coil over plugs)

BTW..no such thing as a GT Mach 1 maybe its just a GT clone of a Mach 1 ?

Last edited by Repzard; 10-08-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Shellygirl722

My hubby does know about working on these engines. We have an 04 expedition with same engine. The title says GT, the strips n a few other things on car say MACH1. The mod's on car are, cold air intake that is not stock, the heads have been changed as well. Matching the company that has supply the air intake ( the intake has the mustang horse on it. But is clearly high performance. The car has dumped pipes after the caty. We were told before we bought the car that there was a warranty. After we paid him in full. He the renigged the warranty. And also made us sigh a paper saying we would not come back on them with a class action suit. The add for car stated it came with warranty. And also keyless. All lies. I don't have a problem with car sence I have a father, hubby n a son that can work on them. But things that were promised were bogus. I'm getting ahold of the dealers Corp office. ( I use to work for this company. So I no a few ppl that will help) promised us a spare ( not there) promised new tires. ( didn't happen). They said they would fix the code check engine ( didn't fix. Just erased , but as u know they always come back. ) I'm taking care all of this Monday. But I have a QQ for u. Should we get the coil over plugs, or the other coils. Wish ones will help with performance?? The car gets 27 mpg right now with the miss fires. Also there is a computer chip to ( idk exactly what it does was told) I know it's SUPOSE to not shut off at certain speeds. And was also to modify it to get better gas milage. And a few other things. I can recall all was said. I know this. Is u do certain things to engine. U can modify to a MACH 1 or to a cobra stang. My hubby, so n fAther are going over it with fine tooth comb Sunday. I was told the only reason a coil would go out at 40,000 miles. Was some idiot washed the engine and didn't no what he was doing. And that coils most likely shorted out. I am going Monday to get 4 set tire estimate 800.00. new spare idk ??? And getting keyless fixed by a real dealer. And I'm gonna change keyless code's change door locks. And ignition keys. That all should have been done on the used car preinspection. I believe they thought. Stupid was tatoo'd on out foreheads. But this momma ain't no dummy. Ty for ur help. QQ was what kinda could do u suggest. I'm a chevy girl. But hubby turned me towards fords against my will. Shhhh I love that mustand it's sweet n it's all muscle. 11,000 VS 26,000. $$$ if u tell anyone I love this ford. I will have to kidnap u. N feed u to my yorkies. Lol. Jk.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Shellygirl722

Default Stang or not to stang

QUOTE=Shellygirl722;7713467]My hubby does know about working on these engines. We have an 04 expedition with same engine. The title says GT, the strips n a few other things on car say MACH1. The mod's on car are, cold air intake that is not stock, the heads have been changed as well. Matching the company that has supply the air intake ( the intake has the mustang horse on it. But is clearly high performance. The car has dumped pipes after the caty. We were told before we bought the car that there was a warranty. After we paid him in full. He the renigged the warranty. And also made us sigh a paper saying we would not come back on them with a class action suit. The add for car stated it came with warranty. And also keyless. All lies. I don't have a problem with car sence I have a father, hubby n a son that can work on them. But things that were promised were bogus. I'm getting ahold of the dealers Corp office. ( I use to work for this company. So I no a few ppl that will help) promised us a spare ( not there) promised new tires. ( didn't happen). They said they would fix the code check engine ( didn't fix. Just erased , but as u know they always come back. ) I'm taking care all of this Monday. But I have a QQ for u. Should we get the coil over plugs, or the other coils. Wish ones will help with performance?? The car gets 27 mpg right now with the miss fires. Also there is a computer chip to ( idk exactly what it does was told) I know it's SUPOSE to not shut off at certain speeds. And was also to modify it to get better gas milage. And a few other things. I can recall all was said. I know this. Is u do certain things to engine. U can modify to a MACH 1 or to a cobra stang. My hubby, so n fAther are going over it with fine tooth comb Sunday. I was told the only reason a coil would go out at 40,000 miles. Was some idiot washed the engine and didn't no what he was doing. And that coils most likely shorted out. I am going Monday to get 4 set tire estimate 800.00. new spare idk ??? And getting keyless fixed by a real dealer. And I'm gonna change keyless code's change door locks. And ignition keys. That all should have been done on the used car preinspection. I believe they thought. Stupid was tatoo'd on out foreheads. But this momma ain't no dummy. Ty for ur help. QQ was what kinda could do u suggest. I'm a chevy girl. But hubby turned me towards fords against my will. Shhhh I love that mustand it's sweet n it's all muscle. 11,000 VS 26,000. $$$ if u tell anyone I love this ford. I will have to kidnap u. N feed u to my yorkies. Lol. Jk.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

if theres things they promised you and you didnt get or things they said they would fix but didnt i would be going back to them and if they refuse i would take some sort of legal action
Old 10-09-2011, 04:33 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

also some easy ways to tell if you have a mach one is if theres a grill or just the pony, the wheels were different but they could have been changes, and they have a shaker hood which is actually "functional" opposed to a gt hood scoop which is there for show. I think the seats might be different but i could be thinking of bullitts. People in the mach 1 section could deffinitely tell the different. Post some pictures up and we could tell u if its a mach or gt
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Shelly....

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

By this I mean, you want it "beastly" but in which way? It should already get-up-n-go a LOT better than your average DD, but then what? Do you have your eyes set on some 1/4 mile runs? Maybe some improvements in handling the backroad runs to the beach?

I would suggest that you begin with a good set of tires for YOUR needs as a driver. If your current tires are in good shape do they suit your needs currently? If you tell me what you have and what your needs are, as a driver, I can help you to know if they are well suited or maybe look to another direction for your next set.

Jazzer says... welcome to MF's and congrats on the new ride
Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like someone sold you a GT....and told you it was a Mach1.

Mach 1 would have a fully functional shaker intake sticking up out of the hood, a lone pony in the grille, unique gauge cluster, 5 spoke wheels, unique seat covers, mach1 lower front lip spoiler...among other things.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMMY01GT
Sounds like someone sold you a GT....and told you it was a Mach1.

Mach 1 would have a fully functional shaker intake sticking up out of the hood, a lone pony in the grille, unique gauge cluster, 5 spoke wheels, unique seat covers, mach1 lower front lip spoiler...among other things.
Also it would have a 32 valve DOHC engine, the GT had a 16 valve SOHC engine, easy way to tell is to look at the valve covers. When you pop your hood, this is what should greet you...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

Shaker hoods are bad ***

But on a side note, that would suck if someone lied to you about it being a mach 1 and its not

Quick Reply: Modify My 04 Stang