4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Modify My 04 Stang

Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
if theres things they promised you and you didnt get or things they said they would fix but didnt i would be going back to them and if they refuse i would take some sort of legal action

They can't because they were dumb and signed something that restricts any type of lawsuit.

OP: When the dealer presented that paper that was the red flag to walk out of there. You're hosed....

Originally Posted by TOMMY01GT
Also it would have a 32 valve DOHC engine, the GT had a 16 valve SOHC engine, easy way to tell is to look at the valve covers. When you pop your hood, this is what should greet you...

Yeah this is the big hint. lol

Originally Posted by djd2392
Shaker hoods are bad ***

But on a side note, that would suck if someone lied to you about it being a mach 1 and its not
That's why it's the consumers job to be informed. It's their own fault for being in this bind.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

If the title says gt then its a gt but $11,000 with 40,000 miles isnt off on the value bc the value on a 2004 mustang gt with 44,000 miles has a book value of $13,550. http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/...dard-Equipment A Mach1 of that same year with the same mileage has a retail of $16,425 http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/...dard-Equipment so even if the told you it was a mach 1 paying 11grand is still a few grand below the book value of it.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
If the title says gt then its a gt but $11,000 with 40,000 miles isnt off on the value bc the value on a 2004 mustang gt with 44,000 miles has a book value of $13,550. http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/...dard-Equipment A Mach1 of that same year with the same mileage has a retail of $16,425 http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2004/...dard-Equipment so even if the told you it was a mach 1 paying 11grand is still a few grand below the book value of it.
On the Title, I dont know, its a "GT" but trim option Mach 1.

Like my 93 Jeep is a Grand Wagoneer, but based off the Grand Cherokee, and the title says "Grand Chero".

But for that amount of money, the fact they can see a mustang on the intake....they got sold a GT @ GT price and told it was a MACH.

And never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever sign away your right to sue someone if they screw up. Id have taken the car and parked it back on their lot if they tried to make me sign something like that.

When I got my 03 GT Vert last year, the dealer wanted me to sign a slip that said as-is, where-is, no warranty, and I refused, told him I was backing out unless he gave me a 90 day bumper-bumper...which he did, and the enxt day the engine blew from no oil, they changed it but forgot to re-fill it at the car lot. Got all new bearings, new pistons, 16 new valves, new oil pump, 8 new rods, new crank, new seals, new cams, rings, etc at no cost...on a 48,000 mile car.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMMY01GT
On the Title, I dont know, its a "GT" but trim option Mach 1.

Like my 93 Jeep is a Grand Wagoneer, but based off the Grand Cherokee, and the title says "Grand Chero".

But for that amount of money, the fact they can see a mustang on the intake....they got sold a GT @ GT price and told it was a MACH.

And never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever sign away your right to sue someone if they screw up. Id have taken the car and parked it back on their lot if they tried to make me sign something like that.

When I got my 03 GT Vert last year, the dealer wanted me to sign a slip that said as-is, where-is, no warranty, and I refused, told him I was backing out unless he gave me a 90 day bumper-bumper...which he did, and the enxt day the engine blew from no oil, they changed it but forgot to re-fill it at the car lot. Got all new bearings, new pistons, 16 new valves, new oil pump, 8 new rods, new crank, new seals, new cams, rings, etc at no cost...on a 48,000 mile car.
Your telling me you bought a car, and didn't even check little things like the fluids? Sounds to me like an idiot car buyer.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Man that sucks! I would most def put the word out about this seller!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KillJoy
Your telling me you bought a car, and didn't even check little things like the fluids? Sounds to me like an idiot car buyer.
Hold your tongue til you know the facts, name calling is uncalled for.

The car was being sold by a large local car lot, they only sell low mileage, clean, exceptionally well kept cars. The 03 Vert was very low miles, when I test drove it it was perfect, top was new, new wheels, new tires, could eat off the engine, not a spot on the interior, this car was like..show room.

I told them I wanted it, told them I wanted to take it home that day. i got the paperwork, temp tag was put on, got the keys and went home. When I got home the car was still running fine. The next morning it was hesitant to start and smoked...I checked the oil and there was none on the stick. I put 2 quarts in, then 2 more...before it touched the stick, and basically 1 more and some of another to top it off. I called the dealer, asked him if it had been serviced, and he said he had them service it while we were doing paperwork...Then I told him to send a flatbed, the car is smoking, had no oil in it..he went and got his mechanic and he admitted he had forgotten to put oil in it. They got the car back up there, pulled it apart, found all the messed up parts, called the Ford Dealer and ordered all new parts while I was there...picked the car up a week later, has like 69K on it now..never a problem.

You'll have to excuse me if I dont check the oil on a car on the car lot...haha

How the engine didnt come apart at the seams ill never know, it has a Mobil1 sticker under the hood, so if the P/O used M1 it saved the block, for sure.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

So they drained the oil, re-installed the plug and never put new oil in it! EEEEEK! this is always my greatest fear when I change my oil. I end up putting about 3 bottles of oil, the car keys and a couple lawn chairs on top of the engine to remind myself to fill the oil... lol

Amazing the engine did not seize up on you during the drive home.

As for Shelly's car, we have not seen pictures and she has not chimed back in here. It is my hope, that she got the car in which see feels she payed. Whether it be a GT or a Mach1, I hope she is happy with her purchase. I will say, that it is a bit unusual to hear that someone is looking to mod a 4V for improved performance in such a case as this.

Jazzer
Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat

So they drained the oil, re-installed the plug and never put new oil in it! EEEEEK! this is always my greatest fear when I change my oil. I end up putting about 3 bottles of oil, the car keys and a couple lawn chairs on top of the engine to remind myself to fill the oil... lol

Amazing the engine did not seize up on you during the drive home.

As for Shelly's car, we have not seen pictures and she has not chimed back in here. It is my hope, that she got the car in which see feels she payed. Whether it be a GT or a Mach1, I hope she is happy with her purchase. I will say, that it is a bit unusual to hear that someone is looking to mod a 4V for improved performance in such a case as this.

Jazzer

Thats not even the whole story. Initially it just needed bearings, 2 pistons, rings, and an oil pump. When the tech put it back together ( I was there when he fired it off) the engine was noisy, he said the lifters needed to pump up, then suddenly it made a clanking noise and locked up. Im guessing he forgot to pull the pin from one of the tensioners, but bottom line was the timing chain system came apart and pretty much wrecked the pistons/valves.

Thats when they put in all the other new goodies...Whats amazing is the tech kept a cool head during all this, knew what to do to fix it, and based on the nearly 2 years and jeez...a few dozen redline pulls later, engine is still dry at the seals, and gaskets, no smoke, good power..he did a good job the 2nd time around