4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Stalling/Starting problem need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Tommy
Have you found the problem yet? I would do a scan to see if any codes are popping up? At this point I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump. Let me know?
Fuel pump and filter are brand new as of April of 2010. I think park of the problem was my throttle body, adjusting that helped a lot and maybe the IAC is a little sticky. It hasn't caused me any issues since I adjusted the throttle body but the way it idled before and I lose complete control, that has to be electrical.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 AM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Fuel pump and filter are brand new as of April of 2010. I think park of the problem was my throttle body, adjusting that helped a lot and maybe the IAC is a little sticky. It hasn't caused me any issues since I adjusted the throttle body but the way it idled before and I lose complete control, that has to be electrical.
Awesome! Sounds like you may have found your problem. I had no idea that someone attempted adjusting the throttle body previous to you. The throttle plate on the throttle body is factory adjusted and should not be touched. The following is some good info I found on the function of a position sensor. This is a good read and may help if you have further problems. Good luck, Tommy.

The function of the throttle position sensor, aka TPS, is to supply information to the car's computer about the position of the car's throttle. The throttle position sensors contain electro-mechanical moving parts which are prone to wear and tear, which eventually add to the cost of car repairs. Malfunctioning of a TPS can result in improper data being fed to the car's computer, which monitors engine performance, in respect to the fuel efficiency of the car. A damaged, malfunctioning TPS can cause variety of symptoms which are also known as symptoms of a bad throttle position sensor.

Symptoms of a Defective Throttle Position Sensor
Following is a list of symptoms, either of or a combination of which, a car driver may experience because of a defective throttle position sensor:
Bucking and jerking of the car.
Idle surging of the car.
Sudden stalling of the car engine.
Hesitation while the driver of the car is trying to accelerate.
Sudden surge in car's speed while driving on the highway.
What Happens with a Bad Throttle Position Sensor?
The data provided by TPS is invaluable for proper startup, idle and easy throttle response of the car. These operations are affected when a bad throttle position sensor feeds erroneous data to the car's computer because of which the:
Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is turned on.
The driver of a car experiences difficulty while changing gears.
The fuel economy of the car drops drastically.
Causes difficulty in setting base-ignition-timing of the car.
How to Test a Throttle Position Sensor?
TPS are manufactured using switch, potentiometer and combination designs. If the TPS is not adjustable then it becomes mandatory that you check throttle stop and throttle cable adjustments. Their improper functioning could cause symptoms such as, poor startup of the car, inefficient response of the throttle of the car, or idle stop. Switch and combination TPS are tested with ohmmeters. In order to test a non-adjustable TPS such as potentiometer TPS, a voltmeter is used and the following list, describes the steps involved in it.
You need to disconnect the throttle sensor harness.
Open the throttle valve manually and check the resistance between the terminal 1 and 2 changes.
Check the resistance in three different positions of the accelerator pedal.
You may record a resistance of approximately 10-ohms when the accelerator is fully, 2 to 10-ohms partially depressed and 2-ohms when completely released.
It is good idea to go through the manual for specific information which may inform you whether you need to change the TPS or for that matter any of the car's auto parts.

Replacing Throttle Position Sensor
Following are few instructions which can be helpful in replacing throttle position sensor.
Remove the faulty throttle position sensor from the throttle chamber.
Apply few drops of anti-stick solution to the tip of the replacement throttle sensor and install it in the throttle chamber.
The anti-stick solution will make it easy for you to remove the TPS in case you need to replace it.
Start the engine after connecting the throttle sensor harness connectors as specified in the manual.
Check whether the output voltage of the TPS is within the specified range.
Tighten the bolts to complete the installation of the TPS.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

I did test my TPS. It moves smoothly with no dead spots. But who knows, you can't really ever rule anything out. Oh and my TB is a 75MM BBK, so someone probably never set it up right to begin with, it was on the car when I got it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

The main thing is your engine runs ok right now. Yes, sounds like the person you purchased the car from did not set up the TB correctly, or not at all. Glad things are working out ok for you. Happy Holidays. Aloha, Tommy.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Tommy
The main thing is your engine runs ok right now. Yes, sounds like the person you purchased the car from did not set up the TB correctly, or not at all. Glad things are working out ok for you. Happy Holidays. Aloha, Tommy.
Yup she runs great, 13.7 @101 on all season street tires. Almost stock
Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM
GT Tommy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69MustangCoupe393cid
Yup she runs great, 13.7 @101 on all season street tires. Almost stock
That is a good run. Happy Holidays, Tommy.