4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Good starter welder, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:33 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Good starter welder, any opinions?

Looking to get a welder. I've never welded in my life so I'm looking for a good starting welder. Something under 300 bucks maybe a hair more if it's worth it. I'm just looking to weld exhaust and such nothing crazy elaborate for now. Stainless steel would probably be the craziest thing I would weld.

Any advice or opinions? I was thinking of just running to sears and grabbing one of the electric 115V/gas optional ones. I have to stick to the 115V for now, I know it sucks but it's what I'm stuck with. Maybe a 220V if they make something. Any input is welcome.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Id go with a 115v lincoln electric. Gas does make a different though. I would invest in getting gas right off the bat and not go flux core. I currently am running just flux and Im not a huge fan. Also, I believe Lincoln has a section to help beginners out. You could possibly take a welding class at a local community college aswell. Im just giving you some ideas. 220v is the best though. thats what I have. 115v is fine for smaller prjects though. Only issue is consistency with the weld and the possibility of the welder overheating.

Also, if you have the slots on your breaker box, its pretty easy to run 220v. I did it from one side of the house to the other side. Everyone gets intimidated by wiring 220, but its just as easy. All youre doing is running 2 115v lines and wiring the outlet correctly. meaning 1 ground and 2 "hot" sources.

Last edited by Bpohlman13; 10-11-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bpohlman13
Id go with a 115v lincoln electric. Gas does make a different though. I would invest in getting gas right off the bat and not go flux core. I currently am running just flux and Im not a huge fan. Also, I believe Lincoln has a section to help beginners out. You could possibly take a welding class at a local community college aswell. Im just giving you some ideas. 220v is the best though. thats what I have. 115v is fine for smaller prjects though. Only issue is consistency with the weld and the possibility of the welder overheating.

Also, if you have the slots on your breaker box, its pretty easy to run 220v. I did it from one side of the house to the other side. Everyone gets intimidated by wiring 220, but its just as easy. All youre doing is running 2 115v lines and wiring the outlet correctly. meaning 1 ground and 2 "hot" sources.
If I run gas do I only need 115V or do I not need electric at all? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to welding. Also what kind of gas is it that someone like me would use and where can I get it? Maybe I'll go that route and just do it right the first time.

Also what kind of welder? Mig? Tig? What's the different between all the kinds of welding? What would I need to do basic exhaust welding and such is what I'm asking I guess.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

You still need to plug it into the wall. The reason the gas is needed, is it keeps a barrier around the electrode and the peice of metal and it keeps the weld clean. The flux core welder burns the flux and turns it into the gas to do the same thing as the gas welder but isnt as good. Argon or a combination of argon and CO2 is used to weld steel. You use different types of gases for different types of metals.

Theres 3 different type of electric welders. A mig welder, which is what I suggest you to start out with. A tig welder, which is the best welder but its exspensive and is hard to learn. And finally an arc welder. Which is mainly used on construction sights.

For exhaust welding, the best thing to use would be a mig welder. Its easy to learn and realatively easy to setup.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Hobart handler 185 with gas. This is 220V but like said above adding some wiring is pretty easy.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If your on a budget I would suggest just getting a 110V unit. There is nothing wrong with Flux wire for what it sounds like you are going to use it for. I have a simple Lincolon in the Garage with Flux wire and I weld up exhaust and even welded in my FLSFC in. Yes welding with Gas is the best but for your average DIY a simple welder is just fine.
Dont forget doing what these guys want you to do adds up quick. Welder $,new wiring $, new breaker $,gas and cylinders $,new 220V outlet $
Where as you keep it simple (KISS as i like to say) and buy a 110V unit and flux wire plug it in and start practicing
Dont forget to look on Craigslist and Harbor Freight for welders
Old 10-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
If your on a budget I would suggest just getting a 110V unit. There is nothing wrong with Flux wire for what it sounds like you are going to use it for. I have a simple Lincolon in the Garage with Flux wire and I weld up exhaust and even welded in my FLSFC in. Yes welding with Gas is the best but for your average DIY a simple welder is just fine.
Dont forget doing what these guys want you to do adds up quick. Welder $,new wiring $, new breaker $,gas and cylinders $,new 220V outlet $
Where as you keep it simple (KISS as i like to say) and buy a 110V unit and flux wire plug it in and start practicing
Dont forget to look on Craigslist and Harbor Freight for welders
^^^ Good call for first welder on budget and good pratice units
Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Yeah but it will be a waste as soon as he wants to move up to something better, just get a good one in the first place. Better welders (220V, Gas, newer electronics)also make it much easier for someone to learn on. 110V welders with flux core do nothing but pizz me off personally as the weld quality is crap and I am an experienced good welder.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
Yeah but it will be a waste as soon as he wants to move up to something better, just get a good one in the first place. Better welders (220V, Gas, newer electronics)also make it much easier for someone to learn on. 110V welders with flux core do nothing but pizz me off personally as the weld quality is crap and I am an experienced good welder.

Just my opinion.
This is kind of more the direction I want to go in.

I have a budget, but I would rather shell out some more money now and not have to upgrade in the future. Are 220V welders as good as gas? I probably won't be in the house I'm in now for much more then a year or two so I probably won't run a 220 line, but if need be I might be able to figure something out.

What all would I need for a decent gas welder?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay-rod427
Hobart handler 185 with gas. This is 220V but like said above adding some wiring is pretty easy.
I have the hobart handler 210mvp and love it. I got mine on sale for $600 from tractor supply and it would be perfect because it is a 110 or 220 setup.
It had 2 different plug ends and all you have to do to switch between 110v and 220v is swith the ends off, it takes like 2 secs. and plug it into the right receptical of course.

Quick Reply: Good starter welder, any opinions?