4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Road course vs drag race

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Wow, some good debate going on! lol

Sharad, thanks a lot for being a part of this and lending some info. I will admit that UPR as a whole is not on everyone's "favorite" list in terms of quality of parts, so I can see where Turbo is coming from. I have used your Firewall adj and quad on my old o4 GT and had no issues.

My duties at the track will be quite limited. I have changed my goals to something a little more "realistic" after talking to people who are doing road coursing/autoxing. I need this to be a DD that won't jar my teeth loose, but still be a nice cornering car for fun. A wise man told me (Jazzer) that any worth-while suspension mods will add more NVH, and that it's up to the driver on what they deem acceptable.

Sonicx: Be watchful about your tail pipes possibly becoming an issue for clearance with a PB. Everywhere I have read says that it COULD cause issues. Sine I'm not about to run dumps on my car, I was somewhat put off by a PB. If you are willing to have your tailpipes tweaked/modified to work, then go for it. I wasn't about to dive that far into it without even being in an autox/HPDE lol.

And like Jazzer said, the LCA's and PB won't have clearance issues with eachother. What other suspension mods do you have? How was the ride quality/added noise from the UPR LCA's after install??
Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
My hope would be that Ford designs a better IRS for the next model of Stang that is NOT made to be retrofitted with an existing SRA. This being said, if one is really into aggressive driving, the IRS functionality is greatly reduced due to the heavy spring rate required for such activity anyway.
You need to explain me some things. First, why the IRS in the 03 cobra is less than desireable and why the heavy spring rates used for the IRS hinder it. I thought that it was wheel rate that mattered, not spring rate. But I have had numerous discussions with those that own cobras, work on cobras, and race with cobras all with IRS's in them and they seem to all agree that the only things that suck about the IRS are things that get changed anyways, like bushings and springs. Stuff like that. And for high hp applications the halfshafts tend to be a little weak. But I still think that the 03 Cobra IRS is decent. The corvette IRS is better, but still doesnt make the cobra IRS chop liver.

That being said...Still think that you should go IRS! Comfy DD and can cut some serious corners!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I think what Jazzer meant is that by the time you modify the IRS to be a real contender for road racing, you are slowly making it act like a SRA. To quote him "taking the IRS out of the IRS". lol

I thought that the IRS was a case closed option, but after doing a lot of asking questions and reading, seems it isn't the case. For a comfy DD that can handle some cornering? Yea it would work. Which in MY case would prob be great. but not knowing how far I want to dive into the corner carving world, I would hate to throw in an IRS, then replace it with a biult SRA to really compete lol.

But either way, my desire for a built SRA or IRS swap has been dialed down. I plan to ride in a Bullitt with CC plates/FLSFC's/PB/TA and pay attention to ride quality/NVH and see how I like it for a DD. The Bullitt is not the owner's DD.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I think what Jazzer meant is that by the time you modify the IRS to be a real contender for road racing, you are slowly making it act like a SRA. To quote him "taking the IRS out of the IRS". lol

I thought that the IRS was a case closed option, but after doing a lot of asking questions and reading, seems it isn't the case. For a comfy DD that can handle some cornering? Yea it would work. Which in MY case would prob be great. but not knowing how far I want to dive into the corner carving world, I would hate to throw in an IRS, then replace it with a biult SRA to really compete lol.

But either way, my desire for a built SRA or IRS swap has been dialed down. I plan to ride in a Bullitt with CC plates/FLSFC's/PB/TA and pay attention to ride quality/NVH and see how I like it for a DD. The Bullitt is not the owner's DD.
Anytime you want to add stiffness to your suspension, your ride quality will suffer... just part of it. The easiest way to add stiffness for the track and still have cusion for DD duty, would be to have adjustable shocks. Set them stiff for the track, and then cusion for normal driving with the turn of a dial. But, its $$$.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

teej... Smitty has summed up why I don't see it as such an advantage on a HARDCORE open-track/AX SN95. Another reason is John Griggs, who builds open-track race car Mustangs, runs an SRA in his own car. He is certainly not the be all/end all of those who build suspensions, but if the IRS was a better performing suspension for corners, he would have kept it.

The next is the much larger proportion of those building such race cars, go stick axle in favor of the IRS. That does not mean the IRS is junk, nor have I ever said/implied such. If those running IRS are happy, excellent

Jazzer
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
turbo232
4th Gear Member

teej... Smitty has summed up why I don't see it as such an advantage on a HARDCORE open-track/AX SN95. Another reason is John Griggs, who builds open-track race car Mustangs, runs an SRA in his own car. He is certainly not the be all/end all of those who build suspensions, but if the IRS was a better performing suspension for corners, he would have kept it.

The next is the much larger proportion of those building such race cars, go stick axle in favor of the IRS. That does not mean the IRS is junk, nor have I ever said/implied such. If those running IRS are happy, excellent

Jazzer
one of the drivers for MM loves the IRS. stock for stock the IRS wins. mod them both and it's up to you, but the SRA would be cheaper since it's already in the car.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st..._irs_faq_royce
Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 PM
sonicx
speed'n

And like Jazzer said, the LCA's and PB won't have clearance issues with eachother. What other suspension mods do you have? How was the ride quality/added noise from the UPR LCA's after install??
-C springs
-Tokico Struts & Shocks
- MM FLSFC's
-UPR adj. LCA's
-Ford Racing Swaybars
-Swarr Bar 8.8in Rear Support
-* MM PHB
*yet tobe installed

I did everything all at once. There were a few noises for awhile while the springs settled in but otherwise. I haven't noticed any problems nor really any noise increases. Good ride quality for a DD.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbo232
can you link the part in the NHRA rulebook that actually states this because i just reread the entire 2009 rules and 2010 and 2011 rule amendments and none of them mention chrome-moly being required for the chassis.
You can buy the chassis specs here: http://www.sfifoundation.com/drag.html

I have a digital copy of the 25.5 book from when I built a 25.5 back in 2004, but that only certs down to 7.50. SFI 25.2 or 25.3 are required if you run quicker than 7.49, and they require chrome-moly tubing. My chassis guy used his copy of the 25.2 book when he built the chassis in my True Street car last year:

Originally Posted by sonicx
Smitty, I'll put you at ease man. I brought those exact LCA's from UPR about 1 year ago. Had no issue with the install. Jazzer helped me alot too with going with them. I've done several auto-x & Road events and I have nothing bad to say about them. I think you're making a good pick.

@UPRsharad: Question for you!! Okay so I have the same LCA's at what smitty has posed (above). I have a MM phb laying in my room (haven't installed it yet). AM I going to have any issues installing it with your UPR lca's?
Thanks
Thanks for the backup!

^ No

The LCA's are completely separate from the PHB and will not have any probs whatever. Install that baby and you will notice an immediate improvement in your cornering/launching. Then make a Kitty proud by going TA and rip up the open-track and AX course

Jazzer

Jazzer's right. They'll work with the PHB, no problem!

Wow, some good debate going on! lol

Sharad, thanks a lot for being a part of this and lending some info. I will admit that UPR as a whole is not on everyone's "favorite" list in terms of quality of parts, so I can see where Turbo is coming from. I have used your Firewall adj and quad on my old o4 GT and had no issues.

My duties at the track will be quite limited. I have changed my goals to something a little more "realistic" after talking to people who are doing road coursing/autoxing. I need this to be a DD that won't jar my teeth loose, but still be a nice cornering car for fun. A wise man told me (Jazzer) that any worth-while suspension mods will add more NVH, and that it's up to the driver on what they deem acceptable.
Hey, I enjoy the discussion.

Jazzer's right about being "realistic" and about the NVH. I'm a knuckle dragging neanderthal, so I sort of tune out the NVH, but it's true that when you build a full on race car (whether its for the drag strip or open track) you make a lot of concessions in the name of speed, increased NVH is one of them. I recently saw (it may have been here on MF) that that badazz GR40 S197 that GR40freak posted all over youtube was purchased and then immediately put up for sale just a couple months later. I bet it was because of NVH. The guy said he was considering a BMW or something. Why go slower with a BMW? Because you want a more street friendly car, that's why. My instructor at Sebring this past May had a GR40 GT500 and that car was pretty harsh compared to my '06... but MAN was it ballistic-fast!!!

My friend Sqidd on AFM is a hardcore roadracer. Every time someone says they want the "best handling suspension" he always replies with how awful it's going to ride on the street with heim joint suspension and gazillion pound springs on the rock hard coilovers. LOL! Maybe that's a little harsh, but it's a fact that while people will say that they want the "best suspension", they usually don't want to sacrifice that much ride comfort.

9 times out of 10, when I recommend a mostly UPR Products handling suspension setup, it's with an eye toward street civility. If a person wants to go hardcore, we can do that, but it's not typical.

Originally Posted by sonicx
-C springs
-Tokico Struts & Shocks
- MM FLSFC's
-UPR adj. LCA's
-Ford Racing Swaybars
-Swarr Bar 8.8in Rear Support
-* MM PHB
*yet tobe installed

I did everything all at once. There were a few noises for awhile while the springs settled in but otherwise. I haven't noticed any problems nor really any noise increases. Good ride quality for a DD.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I'm prepared for some NVH. It was just that god forsaken exhaust drone that I could not STAND! Thankfully I found some mufflers that sound just as loud as my previous full size mufflers but have no drone. I put in Dynomax VT's. For the added performance of the LCA's and FLSFC's I'll deal with the added NVH

Sharad, I'll be placing an order tomorrow for some parts.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
"... I'm a knuckle dragging neanderthal, so I sort of tune out the NVH..."
Sheeeeeet, if YOU'RE a knuckle draggin' neanderthal.... guess I am not even in this picture yet!

Quick Reply: Road course vs drag race