4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Aftermarket IRS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default Aftermarket IRS

As everyone knows you can not get an aftermarket Cobra IRS cradle. If you want one you have to pay an arm and a leg or find someone who is willing to trade for a SRA.... Most people also know there are a limited number of these IRS's out there in the world...

I plan on fabricating and selling suspension/chassis stiffening parts in the next couple years and since the IRS can not be bought I have been contemplating on making/selling them. I would most likely fab just the cradle and supply a pumpkin and people can choose their own parts to finish it up...

I just wanted to throw it out there and ask if anyone here might be willing to purchase some if they were in the market...Not taking orders, just checking the interest that is out there.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I doubt you could build one and have it be cost effective. Not sure why you think it is so hard to find an IRS if you search they are everywhere.
Funny story I used to work at the Co. That designed and built the IRS for Ford and after the program ended there was hundreds of empty cradles left over and they ended up going to the scrap yard. So sad
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The cradle itself would be very cheap and easy to build. I didn't say it was hard to find either. Just the fact that there are a limited number of them out there.
As for the other parts such as the control arms, bushings, etc... yea those get expensive if I wasn't to build them myself. I know the aftermarket ones are very pricey BUT if someone wants an IRS that is worth taking it to a track they will pay some money for it. Although most people that have a IRS right now probably have very little if any track time so they don't know or realize the short comings of the stock setup IRS.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

ill be the guinea pig, lol!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Lol, my car is going to be the guinea pig ....

BUT with you living in KY picking one up won't be too hard. I live in Indiana so its only a couple hour drive.

But again, first thing I need to do is get one so I can get the design, mounting points, size of the tubing used, ect...
Old 11-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Bpohlman13
3rd Gear Member

Whats going to make yours superior to the Cobra IRS? If all youre going to provide the cradle and the pumpkin, where are we going to get a arms, axles, knuckles, sway bars and such? How are you going to make it more cost effective over the cobra unit?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Everything can be found in the aftermarket other than the cradle and pumpkin. I have thought about making stock style arms and what not with regular rubber bushings.

As for being better...Never said that was the intent BUT I would give the options to include the better bushing or just to have stock.

Over all will it be cheaper than the ones you can buy from other owners? Maybe not BUT they will be better than he one you would see used. Better/ new parts.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:30 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

please explain to me how a cradle built in your garage is going to be better than a used one that has countless hrs. of engineering put into it. And don't you think if there was a cost effective way to make an aftermarket IRS some of the bigger company's like Maximum Motorsports,Griggs or Steeda(and Granatelli to copy) would be making one?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The big name companies could if they wanted but there isn't a reason for them to when they make plenty on their parts for the IRS. Why isn't there a cost effective way? I can understand some people doubting the fabricating abilities and the over all quality on something as such by a no name guy who builds out of his garage/shop. But where do you think people started from??

Anyway, by taking a stock unit and making one just like it and if I find something that I might want to improve on I can. I guarantee my welds will be better and I might use slightly thicker metal/tubing in some spots.

Then those I have built will be put in a car and tested just like any other piece.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

I like the idea, even though im not an IRS guy, Lets see some pics of your other builds/products/work, that will let us see your capabilities as far as the fab work goes.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket IRS