4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Need some opinions ....which car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Default Need some opinions ....which car?

Here's the deal ..I'm torn between a desision ..I have a 2001 mustang gt with some bolts ons and the motor is getting pretty high in miles so what should I do..should I rip the motor out replace with a brand new one and drop in some badass cams to give it a little more kick and upgrade suspension ..which I calculated about 10k for everything.. Or........

Should I buy a 05 gt for about 15ish k with about 55k miles..which would be stock

Or buy a 05 or 06 GTO stock for about 15 ish k with about 55k miles...

I love all muscle cars ..I just tend to lean more toward mustangs cause I'm a ford guy and Ive owned 4.

But I loveeee the gto with that ls2.

So what should I do?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Well first things first, you dont need to change the motor if its still running good regardless of the amount of miles on it.
Other than that its personal preference on wether or not you want to buy another car or put the money into yours to mod it.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
Well first things first, you dont need to change the motor if its still running good regardless of the amount of miles on it.
Other than that its personal preference on wether or not you want to buy another car or put the money into yours to mod it.
Yeah very true man. It runs good even with 150k miles but I'm kinda worried about putting stress on it like if I wanted to race it..the motor still runs good but looks awful lol doesn't burn any oil at all but idk I just feel worried about if i do all of mods to it and then it breaks:/ wouldn't a new motor be safer?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dudewright0715
Yeah very true man. It runs good even with 150k miles but I'm kinda worried about putting stress on it like if I wanted to race it..the motor still runs good but looks awful lol doesn't burn any oil at all but idk I just feel worried about if i do all of mods to it and then it breaks:/ wouldn't a new motor be safer?

maybe and maybe not lol. IDK, my motto has always been "Dont fix it until its broke" and im sure there are others who feel the same way. Even if you do add all sorts of mods to it and it does break(throw a rod through the block, crack a head, etc), 9 out of 10 times you can just swap everything over to the new motor you put in to replace it.

My honest opinion is unless you really want a newer car, keep the one you have and mod it(if thats what your going for in your mustang). I personally wouldnt buy a new engine for it. But thats me. Id mod it and if it does break then id buy another motor but i wouldnt do so until it does break. Who knows, that motor may last another 5 yrs.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Well look at the money side, If you get swap a motor you are looking at 10K you said...is your car paid off?

If you buy either of those other cars will you have a car loan?

If you own your car (no payments) and you are willing to drop up to $15K on the 05 GT or GTO, then why not drop the $15K into a built 4V motor swap or something into your GT?

If you went through the hassle of a motor swap and you can afford it, I would go with a low mile Cobra motor. Screw replacing it with a 2V.

EDIT: after thinking about this since I was in the same boat as I like to switch things up sometimes...screw the 05 GT...I would either keep you car and do a 4V swap, or get into the GTO. Keep in mind I hear the GTO's are on the heavy side but I hear the interiors are amazing. I have not driven a GTO, but did sit in the back seat of one...things seemed to be well made.

A H/C/I, tune and exhaust GTO would be a fun car I bet. LSx motors are good for mods.

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-17-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:01 AM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Gto takes my vote. Theyre so nasty
Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
maybe and maybe not lol. IDK, my motto has always been "Dont fix it until its broke" and im sure there are others who feel the same way. Even if you do add all sorts of mods to it and it does break(throw a rod through the block, crack a head, etc), 9 out of 10 times you can just swap everything over to the new motor you put in to replace it.

My honest opinion is unless you really want a newer car, keep the one you have and mod it(if thats what your going for in your mustang). I personally wouldnt buy a new engine for it. But thats me. Id mod it and if it does break then id buy another motor but i wouldnt do so until it does break. Who knows, that motor may last another 5 yrs.
Very true man. I think what I'm gonna do is hold off and drive it till I throw a rod then replace. Thanks for the insite man
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Well look at the money side, If you get swap a motor you are looking at 10K you said...is your car paid off?

If you buy either of those other cars will you have a car loan?

If you own your car (no payments) and you are willing to drop up to $15K on the 05 GT or GTO, then why not drop the $15K into a built 4V motor swap or something into your GT?

If you went through the hassle of a motor swap and you can afford it, I would go with a low mile Cobra motor. Screw replacing it with a 2V.

EDIT: after thinking about this since I was in the same boat as I like to switch things up sometimes...screw the 05 GT...I would either keep you car and do a 4V swap, or get into the GTO. Keep in mind I hear the GTO's are on the heavy side but I hear the interiors are amazing. I have not driven a GTO, but did sit in the back seat of one...things seemed to be well made.

A H/C/I, tune and exhaust GTO would be a fun car I bet. LSx motors are good for mods.
Ya know I never thought of that lol that would be bad *** to put in a 4v cobra motor..and yes that would prolly cost around the same to do that as a new car..I own the car right now but if I replace the motor I would get a personal loan worth 10 or 15k but that is a awsome idea. now I just have to debate in the future what route I want to go now lol and yeah I would get a gto over a 05 gt just casue that ls2 is sick! I drive one every now and then when my brother needs me to ..(his car) and it's awsome . It's stock with a street screamer exhaust its loud and it feels like it has power like when your pulling on the the highway you can feel it in your foot..
Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Well if you go between a 4V swap or the GTO, then it comes down to what you like better, ford or chevy.

Things I would think about:
-cost of mods for each car
-cost of repairs/parts avaiable (GTO drivetrain will be same as mustang but I don't know about where to get GTO specific parts)

Pay attention to the feel of both cars just driving around. How they make YOU feel when driving them. It sounds strange, but I LOVE my Mach 1 for the 4V sound and power but also because it creaks sometimes etc. The 05+ GT's are too "floaty" and ride TOO nice for me. I don't feel like I'm in a muscle car. I don't know how the GTO's ride/drive so I can't comment.

Another thing to think about, IF you do the whole 4V swap and maybe trans...you start to cut down the amount of people you can resell the car to. Some people (like me and MANY others) like a STOCK car. Especially when it comes to muscle cars so they know if they are stock, then they were't beat on TOO much lol. You start requiring people that either KNOW mustangs (will look it over to make sure it was done right) or people that don't know car and are just in AWE of the swap who will buy it..."Awe man I just bought a GT with a Cobra motor in it!!!!" Even though its one onf the most common motor swaps out there...

For $15K you can have a sweet 4V cobra motor and possibly 6spd trans in your GT and make it a sleeper (miles depend on what motor you buy). Or just jump into a stock GTO with 55k mi.

The STOCK (good thing...no one messed with it) GTO with 55k mi and the LS motor sounds pretty appealing to me (assuming I like how they drive)

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-17-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Agree with Killjoy

Get the GTO.
LSx are bad @ss motors and will make much more power than any 4.6 Liter

Sorry but its the truth, Mfers
As much as I love the Mustang and the 4.6L

LSx will make more power on less money we all know that

Quick Reply: Need some opinions ....which car?